Saab engine build

vocky

Staff
I made the injector blanking plugs today, webcon supply four core plugs, but the alloy versions are much safer as they cannot drop into the cylinder

SAM_4652.JPG

vocky

Staff
I collected the cylinder head from the machine shop and rebuilt it

note the oil restrictor (top left corner) is now closer to the face, this is because 1mm has been skimmed off :D

SAM_4653.JPG

Throttle Bodies and injector blanks fitted

SAM_4654.JPG

Supertech double valve springs fitted along with the NA stage 2 CompCams

SAM_4655.JPG

z22se cam cover modification fitted

SAM_4656.JPG

vocky

Staff
that is correct, every 1mm = 1 CR increase. However the chain tensioner will not work after more than a 1.5mm skim

You need a manually adjustable cam chain tensioner for a 2mm skim

vocky

Staff
a busy day today :)

SAM_4657.JPG

Wiseco pistons fitted to the Eagle Steel rods

SAM_4658.JPG

the brand new bearings fitted

SAM_4659.JPG

pistons go into block - after gapping the rings

SAM_4660.JPG

vocky

Staff
cylinder head fitted and timing chain added

SAM_4664.JPG

oil cooler adaptor fitted

SAM_4665.JPG

new Genuine oil filter and the vx220 alloy oil filter assembly lid fitted

SAM_4666.JPG

Saab dip stick tube modified and fitted. Webcon kindly put a spare hole in the throttle cable bracket, so I used that along with a stainless P clip to secure the dipstick tube.

SAM_4667.JPG

vocky

Staff
next job was to 'vernier in' the cams

SAM_4668.JPG

I replaced the cam cover gaskets and fitted that along with the brand new Saab cam cover bolts

SAM_4669.JPG

cam cover earth strap fitted - which pretty much finishes the engine build

SAM_4670.JPG

The TTV flywheel and brand new Courtenay fast road clutch will be fitted when the engine goes back in.

corsaZ22se

you have had a good day, (y)
if I had the money I would get you to do mine but I enjoy doing the work more than driving the car when its done :LOL:

corsaZ22se

mine is just over 7litres with oil cooler.
using bsp fittings as that's what the adaptor and cooler came with, then standard hyd hose as its free :)

vocky

Staff
I am building another ITB engine at the moment, but it has a z22se block and used saab b207 head.

It's getting z22yh pistons and rods, new piston rings, balancer delete, ported b207 head, port matched inlet manifold, dbilas valve springs, +1mm valves, brand new hydraulic lifters, stage 3 comp cams and a plastic cam z22yh cam cover.

A few pics;

head back from having the +1mm Valves fitted and a mild skim to clean the head up.

SAM_4936.JPG

Ports opened up
SAM_4937.JPG

brand new valve stem oil seals fitted
SAM_4938.JPG

injector blanking plugs added, still need to fit the blanking plug to the saab PCV hole and drill a connecting hole so that the PCV still works as per factory.
SAM_4939.JPG

New hydraulic lifters and exhaust cam blank fitted, a 10mm grub screw was fitted to the oil way behind the alloy plate.
SAM_4940.JPG

corsaZ22se

I need to get me one of them blanking plugs for the saab temp sensor hole.
put a spare temp sensor in at the moment.