Saab engine build

dewismotorsport

However the chain tensioner will not work after more than a 1.5mm skim

You need a manually adjustable cam chain tensioner for a 2mm skim

Just a thought but by turning down the inner face of the tensioner it would allow it to sit 1mm closer as it would screw in slightly further

vocky

Staff
I picked up the crank assembly from Vibration Free today, so rebuilt the engine :D

Brand new CompCams stage 3 NA camshafts fitted, PCV mod done - works as per OEM. ITB manifold fitted on sleeve studs to keep it perfectly aligned.
SAM_4941.JPG

Con rods needed some balancing :eek:
SAM_4942.JPG

They used the gudgen pins to balance the piston weight
SAM_4943.JPG

Brand new piston rings fitted
SAM_4944.JPG

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
Then the pistons were slipped into the block, balancer delete done and brand new sprockets fitted.
SAM_4945.JPG

Brand new bearings fitted for the crank
SAM_4946.JPG

SAM_4947.JPG

Brand new rear main oil seal
SAM_4948.JPG

sump washed out
SAM_4949.JPG

Genuine head gasket and head bolts
SAM_4951.JPG

Just need to vernier in the cams with the brand new Saab cam sprockets and brand new genuine chain kits, a job for tomorrow.
A brand new genuine coolant pump was also fitted, the flywheel was also fitted.

SAM_4952.JPG

Last edited:

corsaZ22se

you do make good progress (y)
next time I find a z22se at the breakers the water pump drain plug may fall into my pocket :sneaky:

Old thread bump, but seemed a sensible place.

I've recently bought a 220 with a B207 VX/M62 and whilst I had the cam cover off today, it definitely has aftermarket cams fitted. Oddly the exhaust cam, has "intake" written on it, among other text.
Should have took more photos, but alas I did not.
Anyone ID them ? and why the exhaust cam might say intake on it ?

Exhaust cam
MvGzVMBS

Inlet cam
G8rC2HR6

dewismotorsport

Old thread bump, but seemed a sensible place.

I've recently bought a 220 with a B207 VX/M62 and whilst I had the cam cover off today, it definitely has aftermarket cams fitted. Oddly the exhaust cam, has "intake" written on it, among other text.
Should have took more photos, but alas I did not.
Anyone ID them ? and why the exhaust cam might say intake on it ?

Exhaust cam
MvGzVMBS

Inlet cam
G8rC2HR6
At a guess they are most likely LSJ cams so maybe the lift is a good match for the exhaust on a sc car.

Had another look.....

they have indeed installed the intake cam 8758 on the exhaust side, and the exhaust cam, 8759 on the intake side of the engine.

Why oh why.

On paper the two profiles are very similar anyway.....but doing it makes zero sense. As to whether they're even timed up correctly, that'll have to wait for another day. Too awkward with the engine in-situ and full clam still on the car.