Project Freeze My Ass Off (rear Poly Bush's Astra G)

pottsey

great news its up and running carl ,so when do you reckon you'll take it out on the first road test

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
great news its up and running carl ,so when do you reckon you'll take it out on the first road test
hey j thanks for your help to :)
it will be later on but my air filter never came from opieoils so looks like i might end up going to halfrauds to get one instead then sort out a water pipe for the top hose

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Playing catch up here. I'm on my 3rd gel battery. The 1st one just couldn't cope with the heat after 8 weeks and split, the 2nd lasted 4 years and now on the 3rd. I can't just leave the car for weeks on end without it being on a trickle charge. Don't think this is anything to do with the SC conversion. It was like it at PVS before the conversion going back years ago in 2007 IRRC. I reckon its more to do with the electric rear window conversion that I did. Something isn't quite right?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Playing catch up here. I'm on my 3rd gel battery. The 1st one just couldn't cope with the heat after 8 weeks and split, the 2nd lasted 4 years and now on the 3rd. I can't just leave the car for weeks on end without it being on a trickle charge. Don't think this is anything to do with the SC conversion. It was like it at PVS before the conversion going back years ago in 2007 IRRC. I reckon its more to do with the electric rear window conversion that I did. Something isn't quite right?
thats another reason for me to fit a proper acid batter in the engine bay it cost less and will start the car after being stood for a weekend :)
putting a acid battery in the boot is bad when the car is running the battery is giving off flammable corrosive gases and unless vented properly will make the boot rusty it recommended to put the battery in a sealed fiberglass box with a vent to outside :)
used to have a 110ah diesel battery in the boot to run my stereo stuff that was sat in a fiberglass tray and had a vent pipe fitted that was pushed to outside thru the seat belt bolt hole

air filter (rickspeed £25 jobbie) in hand but cant do s**t till the rain does one

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
its a round it job the angle too tight to go over with the pipe i have
rickspeed ftw lol
WP_001311.jpg

next problem engine runs fine but any power draw from the interior windows,brakes,power steering,heater resets the speedo
like so

any ideas its all looks to be plugged in

z22se-fan

rickspeed ftw lol
View attachment 14351

next problem engine runs fine but any power draw from the interior windows,brakes,power steering,heater resets the speedo
like so

This remembers me off when my alternator was failing. Yours is ok, but does the belt sit tight enough on the pulley? Does it make any squeeling noises?

vx-chris

rickspeed ftw lol
View attachment 14351

like so

That's ok you now have an excuse if you get pulled over for speeding "sorry officer my dash just stopped working" (y)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
This remembers me off when my alternator was failing. Yours is ok, but does the belt sit tight enough on the pulley? Does it make any squeeling noises?
belt is on the alternator pulley i have no squeaking will check the charging voltage now :)
only thing i did with the alternator was use the 100amp back plate and cut that one so if i ever needed to put mine back together i could just put the 120 cover back on maybe the suppressor is dead in the 100am cover you think that would cause this issue?

That's ok you now have an excuse if you get pulled over for speeding "sorry officer my dash just stopped working" (y)
i took it out for a spin and ive already had complaints i was only in 1-2 just bliped it in the village and some old twat said to me mom i should be arrested for driving like that lol
i know where he lives so gonna go rev the s**t out of it outside his door then when he comes out say "" just cause my car makes noise dont mean im doing mack 6 now f o :) ""

z22se-fan

belt is on the alternator pulley i have no squeaking will check the charging voltage now :)
only thing i did with the alternator was use the 100amp back plate and cut that one so if i ever needed to put mine back together i could just put the 120 cover back on maybe the suppressor is dead in the 100am cover you think that would cause this issue?
:) ""
It sure looks like an alternator related issue. What's the voltage? Don't think a faulty suppressor will cause this...

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
your right heres with the engine running
it dropped to 8v when the heater was turned on belt is fully engaged with the pulley
WP_001315.jpg

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the car came with 120amp and given that they were the same size when measured with the calipers i used the 120 from the car just modded the rear case off the 100amp that i had kicking around and put that on my 120 amp
i will need to check all the cables i think i may have missed one

5M1THY

This is a really impressive build Carl do you think you will be ready for trax it would be good to see all the hard work

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
This is a really impressive build Carl do you think you will be ready for trax it would be good to see all the hard work
the answer to that is yes :)

and the progress of the car is i won't be going to work in it tomorrow :(
took the nut off the alternator and wedged the multimeter probe in there it was all over the shop it was erratic and i saw a 19v at one point so turned it off
next step is to take the alternator off and see why the regulator is not working now