6 speed conversion

vocky

Staff
ordered the astra gearbox bracket today, only £20 so not too bad.

also orderd a braided hose for the clutch pipe, the original is rubber + a metal pipe which is completely the wrong shape + size :roll:

the new one will match my braided brake hoses 8)

vocky

Staff
spent today sorting out odds and ends, not really anything to do with the M32 conversion :roll:

moved the ecu to the bulkhead
moved the oil catch tank to the bulkhead
repositioned the air intake pipework - for better cold air feed
extended the reversing light loom to the new M32 switch position
fitted the exhaust back on - including sorting out the flange connection

Daz

Former Staff
How much wiring is involved in moving the ecu neil??....been thinking bout doin it on my vec..

vocky

Staff
Daz said:
How much wiring is involved in moving the ecu neil??....been thinking bout doin it on my vec..

I never touched the wiring today, it just moved easily from the temporary place I fitted it to.

to move a standard ecu is a little bit harder, the injectors and fuel vent valve wires need extending, that's about it dunno..

vocky

Staff
a few pics, nothing much to look at :LOL:

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_13_IMGP1529_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_13_IMGP1535_1.jpg

A11VXL

Trader
vocky said:
Not taken long at all that neil....are there anymore vx's with a 6speed ?? or is ures the only one..

the only vx220's with a 6 speed that I've heard about are all in europe, one has the saab z2.0net turbo engine + 6 speed F40 box and there's one or two vx220 Turbo's notsure.gif

as far as I know mine is the first 2.2 with a M32 6 speed gearbox 8)

Mine too, well nearly !!!! really want the 2.2 version of the M32 box or I will have to moditfy the VXR one I have for the starter cut out :razz:

Any one know of a 2.2 M32 any where ...all info gratfully recieved, could be some very cheap bits /re-map in it as a reward for the finder :D :D

vocky

Staff
my M32 was the first vauxhall 6 speed I found for the z22se and I've been looking for two years :eek:

a saab z20net 6 speed should be easier to find, I never really tried that hard to find a saab box :oops:

but the F40 requires the subframe to be cut :roll:

A11VXL

Trader
Yes had an F40 but just sold it,(needed a clear out! Also it was a bit bulky and I like the idea of the M32 being kind of more OE in the VX .

vocky

Staff
the astra M32 gearbox bracket arrived today :)

it fits perfect :D

also bought 3 bottles of gearbox oil as the M32 takes 2.4 litres

thanx Jon cheers..

vocky

Staff
finished off the gear lever end today, only had to do a minor adjustment to one cable - the end was not square to the ball joint, so simply loosened the locking nut, aligned the cable end and re-tightened the lock nut, job done :)

next job was to fit a 'reverse gate' spring, I used a piece of spring steel to create a 'gate' for the reverse gear

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_13_IMGP1552_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_13_IMGP1554_1.jpg

so apart from replacing the clutch pipe with a braided hose it's all done.