Project Freeze My engine Off (SAAB B207R Supercharged)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Mmm that exhaust looks tasty pal.
gets the gas out quick :) but its loud :confused:

well i think i found the issue with the cracked block
gen1 on 66mm deep water channel loads of support
gen1.jpg

so called gen2
104mm deep water ways meaning less support and lots of wobbly cylinders
gen2.jpg

deffo going to need to peg all the a20ner blocks :)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
new bench is complete time to get the heads ported :) 1st one was picked up yesterday :)
WP_20161231_16_41_50_Pro.jpg

inner workings of a z22se/yh/net hydraulic lifter this one was snapped so easy to see the insides
WP_20161231_16_40_07_Pro.jpg

oil goes in the lifter thru the hole in the side then the oil goes into the bottom of the lifter untill its
the rest of the oil is released out the top of the lifter once the lower part is full
or another way i need to look at the inside to see if there's a groove
WP_20161231_16_41_09_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20161231_16_41_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161231_16_41_02_Pro.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 172
Wow with the blocks thats just proving the gen 1 maybe stronger after all but i find a lot of people speculate about what blocks are the best but have they actually pushed them to their limits and found their weaknesses (i doubt it ! ).
Do you think you will go with the early block now after you destroyed your previous block ?

Last edited:

KevinH

AFAIK the following is correct:

GEN I
Z22SE aka L61 in USA
Z20NET or B207L used in Saab aka LK9 (the 3 versions of B207 were B207E-148hp, B207L-173hp, B207R-210hp)
LSJ (2.0 L SC)
Z22YH
L42 (2.2 CNG version)

GEN II
LNF (2.0 L)
A20NFT & A20NHT aka LDK (used in Vauxhall/Opel Insignia & Astra J and Saab 9-5 & 9-3)
LHU (E85 version capability)
L61 (updated in 2007, used in USA only)
LAP (2.2 L VVT)
LE8 (E85 version capability)
LE5 (2.4 L VVT - uses a reinforced GEN II block)
LAT (used in hybrid vehicles)
LE9 (E85 version cabability)
LAF (2.4 L Direct Injection)
LEA (E85 version capability)
LUK (hybrid version of LAF)

GEN III
LTG (2.0 T 247hp used in Vauxhall/Opel Insignia 2013->)
LCV (2.5 L)
LKW

:)

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
dont take info from wiki its publicly editable and contains inaccuracies
for example the 2007> b207r was a gen 2 block and the a20nft in the early insignia is gen 2 also where some say its a gen3
the astra j vxr was gen3
for our interests anything 2.2 and pre 2005 is gen1 everything after was gen2, gen3 was hit and miss with the usa having it years before the european market :)
Wow with the blocks thats just proving the gen 1 maybe stronger after all but i find a lot of people speculate about what blocks are the best but have they actually pushed them to their limits and found their weaknesses (i doubt it ! ).
Do you think you will go with the early block now after you destroyed your previous block ?
2 dead gen2's :) gen1 in now with upper cylinder support will soon see if its got the strength now

all we know is the gen 2 unpegged cant take 340hp at 14-16psi with 7300rpm dailly if the 2nd block had been pegged like the 1st it would never of failed as the ""cylinder walk""would never of happened gen1 are known to handle 400whp in the usa but it could be different if the block was produced outside of america

chill

i run a B207E/L 2.2 at 7500 rpm at over 360 hp @2.1 bar
what gen is this engine as ive had no issues in 3.5 years i think ans im now pushing a bit further close to 400pk

figo126

so am I right in saying the early , z22se,b207,z20net are gen 1,, hope so ive got 2x 2003= b207,and a 2002 z22se plus a 2003= z22yh block , ??????

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i run a B207E/L 2.2 at 7500 rpm at over 360 hp @2.1 bar
what gen is this engine as ive had no issues in 3.5 years i think ans im now pushing a bit further close to 400pk
got a pic of the front of the block ?
the reason i never pegged the 2nd gen2 was every one said there fine to over 400hp after a year of 340hp and 7300rpm at 9.5:1 ish it broke
i shold of just pegged it and not rushed to get the car back on the road :confused:

so after doing 2 chains this weekend i finally got round to fitting the fan relays so the aem can take control of the engine cooling at the end if theres a spare out put on the ecu i may wire in the elec pump so thats controlled by the ecu to but i do like the led display unit for that function
WP_20170107_21_38_52_Pro.jpg

chill

oh dear
do you think your failures could be caused by anything else
have i been lucky and risking it
i suppose i should not push any further
sorry to be a PITA but do you have a pic of the gen 1 v gen 2 with the differences

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
well dont worry you maybe running a lower cr than mine and also mine was not down to mapping or det it was a suspected cooling issue or cylinder vibration from the head lifting or a defect in the casting no one knows lol
i can only speculate at the time i was having issues with the water pump controller having fits and flashing all the lights i remember going to demontweeks to get new fans and evans coolant it failed after using the evans prep fluid so could of been that, there were cases where the perp fluid stripped the coating off the head gasket listed online and i was using a cometic gasket and there not know to be the best on the usa

im now using the gen1 with full support wedges at the top and it wont be long to see if it fails or not
i plan to repair my 1st gen2 block that suffered lean running and a scored bore thats pegged at the top will be a good spare

gen1 had an extra standoff at the alternator mounting point and no bosses at the top of the block
z22se gen1.JPG

chill

I am running a lower compression ratio
And mapping has been as good as it gets from day 1(Obdtuner and now obdtuner PRO )

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
I am running a lower compression ratio
And mapping has been as good as it gets from day 1(Obdtuner and now obdtuner PRO )
i have 8.9:1 pistons installed but with the 0.004" skim and the +1mm valves the cr is increased
the 1st gen2 block failed because i put the 2.8" pulley on and never had it mapped in time and it was before i had the afr gauge so it was already to late by the time i found out lol