Harrop Engine Build

edbutler

Glad you got rid of those god forsaken "Head Rests." If i'd have had a rear end shunt in mine, being over 6' id have probably died of head trauma! What were Vauxhall thinking!?

How much did they weigh Vocky?

rik1083

are you sure those pipes will flow enough? they are a lot smaller than the normal charge cooler ones. Maybe its worth getting rid rather than reusing?

edbutler said:
Glad you got rid of those god forsaken "Head Rests." If i'd have had a rear end shunt in mine, being over 6' id have probably died of head trauma! What were Vauxhall thinking!?

How much did they weigh Vocky?

the ones he removed aren't the ones you hit your head on. What you hit your head on are just hard foam which you can remove at any time (I removed mine :))

vocky

Staff
the heater pipes aren't much smaller than the charge cooler hoses, the external size is massively different but the internal bore is at most a couple of mm less.

Keeping the 'hot' pipe away from the 'cold' pipe will certainly keep temperatures lower :)

vocky

Staff
a very busy day today, I picked up the freshly balanced crank assembly - he did a brilliant job by the looks of things :D

some pics....

new bearings

piston and rods ready to go in

arp bolts

Attachments

• IMGP2991.JPG
    IMGP2991.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 306
  • IMGP2992.JPG
    IMGP2992.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMGP2994.JPG
    IMGP2994.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 314
  • IMGP2995.JPG
    IMGP2995.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 319
  • IMGP2996.JPG
    IMGP2996.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 305

vocky

Staff
ready to fit

and in, quite surprised as it went straight in without a fight - for a change :LOL:

added the new water pump and chain kit

also fitted the starter motor, knock sensor, crank sensor, water pump feed pipe, new thermostat

next job will be to fit the head and then time up the GM vernier sprockets :)

Attachments

• IMGP2997.JPG
    IMGP2997.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMGP2998.JPG
    IMGP2998.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 304
  • IMGP2999.JPG
    IMGP2999.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 308
  • IMGP3001.JPG
    IMGP3001.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 311

alanoo

something visible on the crank regarding balancing ?

EDIT : oh, and not sure how much you had the head skimmed, but remember you might need to shave some material from the block centering dowels :confused:

vocky

Staff
it seems this crank did need some re-balancing, there are a few ground spots where metal had to be removed, certainly the clutch cover plate has had a fair bit of work done too.
The lightened flywheel also had a small amount removed (about the same as mine did).

But I did ask for a really good balance of this crank assembly, mine just got the basic balance.

The head only had a small amount skimmed so hopefully it will be ok.

I have refitted the alternator and fitted the ARP head studs, just need to find TDC with my vernier gauge and then the head can go on.

vocky

Staff
todays update;

fitted the ARP head studs and cometic head gasket

then fitted the saab head, torqued the ARP nuts to 80ft lb, fitted the vernier sprockets and new cam chain kit, then set up the verniers, the exhaust was 2 degrees out and the inlet just 1 degree (y)

then fitted the later spec oil pump with GM racing oil pump gears, fitted the cam cover, the sc inlet manifold with the uprated M8 bolts rather than the z22se M6 bolts, the exhaust manifold, bypassed the heater pipework and stuck the standard sc on for the pic :D

the engine is going to get run in with the standard GM sc, the harrop sc will be fitted at a later date

Attachments

• IMGP3002.JPG
    IMGP3002.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMGP3007.JPG
    IMGP3007.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMGP3009.JPG
    IMGP3009.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 297

alanoo

what piston to bore clearance did you use ? Wiseco suggested or higher ? (if it is still a full track/race car, higher would be best)

Is that the 2bular Sc manifold too ? Looks excellent !

vocky

Staff
I always give the machine shop the wiseco paperwork and ask them to use the tolerances wiseco specify.

It has the full 3" 2bular exhaust system, it's a bit tight on the nearby engine components but I have fitted some exhaust wrap around the heater bypass pipe.

vocky

Staff
this vx220 has no interior heater, so the heater system is bypassed at the thermostat housing - simply a piece of hose with a 90 degree bend works a treat.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
What's the exposed tube that runs back to the water pump housing that sits directly under the manifold? I've thought about covering it with exhaust wrap to stop the heat from the manifold interfering with engine temps??

vocky

Staff
I have thought of doing that a few times, but my current manifold isn't that near to the pipe.

I forgot to mention that I also replaced the z22se 58mm TB with the 68mm sc throttle body, I had to modify the bolt holes as the sc had been modified for the z22se tb, then I simply modified the loom.
Luckily the air filter assembly is the correct size, it had a reducer to fit the smaller 58mm tb and it was just a case of removing the reducer :)

vocky

Staff
I collected the sand blasted and painted supension the other day, it's now all refitted, just waiting for a new steering rack, track rod ends and drop links.

a few pics...

finally a wheel is bolted on the car :wtf: :LOL:

front

Attachments

• IMGP3013.JPG
    IMGP3013.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 491
  • IMGP3014.JPG
    IMGP3014.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 481
  • IMGP3018.JPG
    IMGP3018.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 492
  • IMGP3019.JPG
    IMGP3019.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 478

vocky

Staff
update:
I forgot to take some pics, but will add some later.

I have finished the suspension rebuild, the new droplinks and track rod ends arrived from elise parts.com, so they were fitted along with the overhauled rack. So it was time to refit the other wheels and lower it back onto the ground :)

I also fitted the new engine side mounts and then refitted the engine tray, the rad and chargecooler systems were both refilled and the engine was started. The exhaust has been dropped off for repacking so I have moved on to weight reduction.

The rear window has been removed along with the door glass and door panels, quite surprised at the weight of the door glass !
Some poly windows are ready to fit, but thats a job for another day along with the hardtop.