Cloyes timing and balance chain kits

prolecs

I've used a few "Cloyes" kits from the states. Only complaint so far is the tensioner, which has twice let me down and leaked oil. Meaning pull the tensioner out and take the bloody cam cover off again to set the tensioner.
First one I managed to goo up satisfactorily, but on the second the rubber part of the seal was shreaded. Seems the machining of the tensioner was a bit rough or maybe the oil hole in the head of the tensioner.
I used an o ring temporarily while new seal was procured. Not sure the o ring was a good choice as after it seemed noisy at idle to me. Maybe the o ring restricted the oil pathway at idle.
Might try a different brand next time.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
fit it activated save the unknown if its activated or not with the pushing the chain method
50+ engines done all fitted activated :)
the doughty seal can get damaged if you put the socket on the tensioner to far it helps to screw the tensioner all the way into the block by hand then the socket cant push the seal on the threaded part of the tensioner :)

prolecs

Thanks Evo. Think I probably screwed it in with the socket by hand, and maybe pushed the seal down :(
I wondered about fitting activated but was not game to try it. The Cloyes install video seems adamant but I will bow to your experiance.
And you answered another question - it's called a Doughty seal!!