Z22SE carb cleaning piston rings

richard165

1000 miles and just over 1/2 way up the dip stick. I'm going to carry on resisting the urge to top the oil up! I am also going to get some more seafoam for next service!

patricks

I think this thread should be made a "sticky" i'm sure many people are having the same issue with their z22se as they now approach higher mileages

richard165

im going to keep everyone updated. I hope this has helped others. I've been given excellent advice from other's research.

im using the zafira more to see how the oil is consumed.

we need to get our heads together and improve the oil ingestion now. I no longer burn oil but there is a pool inside inlet. if this was sorted I think I'd use very little. at least that's my focus now.

Berto

richard165 said:
1000 miles and just over 1/2 way up the dip stick ...

Very nice results! (y)

What's the viscosity of the oil you're using for these post soak tests?

... we need to get our heads together and improve the oil ingestion now. I no longer burn oil but there is a pool inside inlet. if this was sorted I think I'd use very little. at least that's my focus now.

After the bypass mod I've barely seen any trace of oil inside my airbox => TB duct. Throttle plate remains impolute (cleaned it up before mod, it was dirty then).

I'm beginning to suspect that a combination of piston soak + enhanced crankcase ventilation might be the next best thing to mitigate Z22SE oil burning problems, short of a major overhaul for drilled/new pistons and fresh rings.

Berto

On a relatively high mileage Z22SE with oil burning issues I'd stick to xW40 grade oil, or even thicker xW50.

The thinnest I'd go would be something like Mobil 1 0W40 FS, which is 12.9 cst @ 100C, on the thinner side of SAE 40 viscosity grade (12.5 ~ 16.3 cst @ 100C).

aimages2.imgbox.com_d5_f2_wWblWHgf_o.jpg

richard165

just a tad over 1500, is a third of the way up the stick. daren't take it lower so I've caved and topped up. when this runs out I'll change to synth and soak yet again. hopefully this cleans it up some more.

richard165

just a tad over 1500, is a third of the way up the stick. daren't take it lower so I've caved and topped up. when this runs out I'll change to synth and soak yet again. hopefully this cleans it up some more.

Fordy

Just a quick update on the Z18XER oil consumption.

I was monitoring the oil consumption for a couple of weeks during my urban commute to work and the oil level didn't budge. Part way through a journey back to Stoke the oil level warning light came on which was quite alarming as this was considerably higher oil consumption than before the piston soak. Thinking that I had probably made things worse, I topped the oil back up and thought that I was going to have to strip the engine down. However since then i have done a number of motorway journeys and the oil level hasn't moved.

I was thinking that the piston soak partially freed the rings but also removed some of the sludge/coke buildup causing an additional oil loss. The high revs during the motorway journey helped to free the rings which are now controlling the amount of oil correctly.