z22se chain tensioner operation

z22-chris

hey guys, brand new on here, but been curious about getting a 2.2 astra for a while, and have been gathering info about the engine.

i understand these engines are very temperamental regarding :
- needing regular oil changes
- the chain guides going brittle
- the timing tensioner blocking up
- and the chain feed jet blocking up
- the pistons not having drain holes

i plan to get an astra soon, and change everything chain related on it, including the water pump sprocket, which i havent seen anyone change in all the how-to guides, for some reason. a bit cowboy, leaving an old sprocket in, i think. everyone seems to be bodging that part.

anyhow, my main question is, how does the timing chain tensioner work, i dont understand. some people say you have to fiddle a long screw driver down into the casing, and push on it hard, untill it springs out, other people say you dont do anything, and its oil pressure fed ? im confused. can you guys tell me whats what, with the tensioner please, as i dont want to mess it up, and wreck the head. the balance chain tensioner has a pin in it, so i assume that one is sprung-loaded.

also, is 120k a lot for these engines, or should i be looking for one with less ? any checks to do while viewing a car ?

thanks

Last edited: