Z22se how good are they

Rick201i

My mate come round before not seen him for a while.last time I saw him I was driving around in a impreza. He sees my Astra and slates the car saying it's chain driven it will break and it's a Vauxhall so it's s**t basically. I was gonna smacked

Rick201i

Interestingly he had a old tigra that went wrong all the time years ago. Now it's a mini pace man I think the John Cooper works

patricks

Damn good! Anyone who says otherwise hasnt driven one especially in the lighter Astra. A well looked after z22se will easily hit 300K miles. Many in the usa have done 600k miles +. I did 300k miles on the original chain and it was still tight but i replaced it because one of the plastic chain guides snapped. Had a learner driver not plowed into it my astra would still be going strong now...............

patricks

Yeah very few modern engines with direct injection will get that sort of mileage because the heads get dirty too quickly and injectors take off the oil on the cylinder wall so the bores wear quicker than a non DI engine. Sadly my Astra is in heaven - im lookinig for another here is a pic from my old car

Attachments

• Photo2864.jpg
    Photo2864.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 208

Rick201i

Yeah very few modern engines with direct injection will get that sort of mileage because the heads get dirty too quickly and injectors take off the oil on the cylinder wall so the bores wear quicker than a non DI engine. Sadly my Astra is in heaven - im lookinig for another here is a pic from my old car
Oh my God. What country are you from.

ob one

I have a 2001 zafira z22se from new had all the timing chain problem's cracked head at about 70000 miles chucked a load of Rad weld in it cylinder 4 would steam up now and then but took me up over 100000 miles
I live in London on a journey to Manchester cylinder 4 died 100 miles out but it took me there and all the way back home so I think there pretty great at 80 to 90 mph it felt normal

corsaZ22se

they are great engines.
had 1 of mine since 2001, covered well over 170k miles now. only gave trouble with cracked head thanks to idiot tuning company over tightening spark plugs on a hot engine at around 117k miles. right royal Knobs!
If they are looked after they last for ages.

ob one

funny that I had a chain go engine was done by vauxhall about a year and a half after that I had a misire went to check plug's found one drowning vocky stripped engine his pal said it had hole in a valve and a hole in the piston and still did 400 miles try that with another make

Berto

... very few modern engines with direct injection will get that sort of mileage because the heads get dirty too quickly and injectors take off the oil on the cylinder wall so the bores wear quicker than a non DI engine ...

^ This man speaks the truth! Few people are aware of the dark side of DI ...

The intake valves fouling is such a problem that automakers are gradually switching to dual injection, with both one direct in-chamber injector, and one "extra" port injector just for keeping the intake valves clean of crap:

skyPZ6R8_o.jpg

The fuel wash in the cylinders and fuel contamination in the oil, courtesy of the much higher injector pressures in DI, exacerbate the problems with the very thin oils and very long oil change intervals so in vogue nowadays.

The long-term results are previsible ...

... Sadly my Astra is in heaven - im lookinig for another ...

Damn mate, if only there was some quick and cheap way to deliver a car to the antipodes :banghead: . I just got another Z22SE Astra Coupe in very good condition with low mileage (54K km) for just 2K euros :) .

patricks

How u doing Berto long time no see congratulations can we have a few pics please?? The coupe never made it down under and sadly astra sri 3 door hatchs with a z22se are as rare as hens teeth in good condition nowdays.

Oh my God. What country are you from.

Funny u should say that im from Gods country lol - Australia of course :). Really great cars if u are not yet convinced the only thing that lets it down is the slow 1-2 shift in the f23 box for which there are fixes for apparently. Oh and i think 5th gear is ridiculously short cruising at 70mph at 3100 revs :banghead:

they are great engines.
had 1 of mine since 2001, covered well over 170k miles now. only gave trouble with cracked head thanks to idiot tuning company over tightening spark plugs on a hot engine at around 117k miles. right royal Knobs!
If they are looked after they last for ages.

Oh bugger corsaZ22se how cruel is that!!!! Some people ask me why i got so much miles out of my car - i often say its cause i never let a mechanic near it lol...............

corsaZ22se

Funny u should say that im from Gods country lol - Australia of course :). Really great cars if u are not yet convinced the only thing that lets it down is the slow 1-2 shift in the f23 box for which there are fixes for apparently. Oh and i think 5th gear is ridiculously short cruising at 70mph at 3100 revs :banghead:

I'm on 1.7CDTi ratio's now, 70mph is 2600rpm in 5th :D

Oh bugger corsaZ22se how cruel is that!!!! Some people ask me why i got so much miles out of my car - i often say its cause i never let a mechanic near it lol...............[/QUOTE]

only took it in for a remap as they were the closest who could map the 2.2 and i had products on which they sold.
all got binned out for a better brand on rebuild and 8bhp gain on previous set up by a different tuner :)
do all the spanner work myself, just mapping i can't do :(