What are the operating temperatures like on your Z22SE? Is something wrong?

chu

The temperature gauge on my Astra G indicates to me that the engine runs kind of cool and I was wondering if I should do something about it or not.
It takes 15-20 minutes for the indicator to come off its resting place at the 70 degrees celsius mark when driving in agreeable conditions (15 degrees celsius ambient temperature, 60mph/100kmh). Then, once warm, it doesn't take too long for it to start hovering around the low 80 degrees celsius. When accelerating up to 80mph/130kmh (max allowed speed here) it might go up to 86-87. It is then quite quick to cool down though, to the higher 70's as soon as I drop my speed for city or outskirt driving. Is my engine running too cool?

corsaZ22se

They normally run around 90* at full temperature in normal use.
It sounds like you may have a thermostat that is stuck open thus circulating the coolant all the time.
Replace the thermostat.

chu

Hi chu,

As corsaZ22se said above either the thermostat has stuck open or the inner seal has distorted and has developed holes allowing coolant through.
Here is the thermostat you require:
https://z22se.co.uk/threads/thermostat-with-gasket.29351/
(It’s the correct thermostat for all Z22SE’s)

Note: the gasket fits around the thermostat before installing.

:)
Perfect, thank you very much. I've decided to postpone the installation until further notice though. The rest of this week it has been coming off the 70 mark much sooner and it operates at about ~82 at lower speeds now too. I'll continue to keep an eye on it and probably replace it for peace of mind reasons on my next oil change.

corsaZ22se

I wouldn't leave it to long, running the engine at below its normal operating temperature can cause more problems down the line. It is quite simple to replace and if you clamp the coolant hoses you will not loose much coolant if you are quick.