Vista..

Daz

Former Staff
Does firefox work with it?....

Just a had a bit of a mare with mcafee,so i want to find out b4 i go ahead and install it..

Sjdickso

Staff
I have not had much look with Mcafee either.

I have been told at work not to roll Vista out on any site, any new machines that come with Vista must be rolled back to XP.

not sure about fire fox i can try for you if you want tomorrow Daz. I put it on my home machine for a week about a month ago and took it off. Ate my memory up like a treat.I personally prefer XP. I would give it some more time to clear up compatibilty issues up.

If you have a spare HDD it may be worth putting it on that rather then flattening your main one.

Daz

Former Staff
I installed vista on a differnt partition si...so i can still go back to xp if i want to...i ran vista for a bit a while back and deleted it coz my pc was running flat out just with basics running,but it dont seem that bad atm..

Andy

when i installed the beta version of vista that used up a lot of resources. memory and cpu constantly at 50% at idle.

itching to install it on a spare HD now lol but don't have one big enough.

Daz

Former Staff
acdn.z22se.com_userpix_41_vista_1.jpg

Thats mine atm

Andy

that don't look too bad Daz.

got a backup copy of vista but been thinking about buying a genuine version, can get them for around £60 delivered for Home Premium.

Matt

Administrator
I've been thinking the same Andy. Main reason I uninstalled the version I had is because it was the all singing all dancing Ultimate edition. Home Premium should run OK on my PC.

Hareng

Got the Vista Ultimate last year Beta 2 Build 5744 RC2

Its still on the kids Athlon 64bit 3700, he prefers it, i dont. Dual boot with XP64.

Had it on this stable overclocked E6600, 2gb ram on a triple boot at one stage, along with XP64, never broke a sweat.
There are more drivers available for Vista and new hardware is being made with this in mind.
Had issues with Nero7, wouldnt have it. Most existing and dated hardware runs as smooth as silk, USB drives, cameras, multicard readers, tv cards, PDA, numerous phones, etc
This XP64 is a right pain, no drivers and not a lot of hardware runs correctly if at all. PDA, camera, phones, multicard reader, Autoroute express off hand wont have it and some others. Funny my old Epson printer from 2000 runs straight off no problem, but had issues with XP and, Win 98SE.

For the home user it looks superb and ideal for home entertainment. Dont like the layout and couldnt get used to it, almost as bad as IE7.
It would still be on this mc if i didnt have to reinstall XP64 from disc, lost everything else, there again i usually format the drives periodically, this ones long overdue.

Andy

installed vista ultimate last night from my back up copy. was meant to give me a choice of versions but it autmaticaly installed ultimate for some reason.

anyway this is how my pc is running at the moment

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_8_vista_1.jpg

Matt

Administrator
hmm, I don't know what to do? Stick with Windows XP and Linux, or whack Vista on for a bit?

Andy

i gave up on linux as it was too complicated for me :LOL:

decided to have a play with vista again. installed it and got it dual booting with xp and got it activated to.

been using it all day up untill about half hour ago as i've not set my email up with it yet.