Scotty Kilmer comments on the 2.2 ECOTEC

corsaZ22se

:Yawn::Yawn::Yawn::Yawn::Yawn:

been running the z22se for over 18 years now and never had any of the problems listed here.
she had a hard life as well.
oil changes as per service guide with gm 10w40 semi oil or shell helix 10w40 semi.
like any engine from any car they only last a given time. you get what you pay for.
thanks to Mr Clarkson the Vectra B's held their price like a stone dropped in the water and they lost half their value in first 6 months or i would have had another MK3 cav not the trusty z22se Vectra B

Berto

... I change the oil every 1k km or 3 months 10w40 full synthetic ... ... Watch this oil 1k km only,

1k-km-z22se-oil-jpg.68927

^ :wideyed:

IMHO that oil sample is screaming "insufficient crankcase ventilation!!!". The 2.5mm/0.100 inch OEM metered orifice can't cope with the higher amounts of blow-by from a relatively high mileage engine, and the oil gets fouled quickly.

You may find this of interest: https://z22se.co.uk/threads/is-this...ilation-works-on-the-z22se.28789/post-1254364

... All I'm saying unless you are from mechanics background it's difficult to maintain the engine ...

^ Agreed.

Berto

... Here's another guy exultant about the brilliance of GM OEM PCV systems:

^ Apparently they fitted these 3.6-litre V6 engines with an even smaller metered orifice than our 2.2 four-pots. What could possibly go wrong? :hungover:

Here's how an enterprising user attacked the problem:

I recommend a careful reading of this associated thread, extremely informative:

Epic quote:

... Only took them 4 years to implement the change after posting this mod and sharing the cause and solution ...

FU7IK9XQ_o.jpg

^ Left, original 2003 OEM metered orifice. Right, later 2013 OEM metered orifice (WAY LARGER (y) ).​

Last edited:

Nassa

Cheers Berto, I don't think this mode will be beneficial to z22se with oil control rings problem, the rocker cover is designed perfectly to separate oil from blow-by gasses and to send them back into intake to burn them again because blow-by is a rich gas, all you need is clean the rocker cover thoroughly.
My oil consumption is 0.4 - 0.5 L/1000km.

As you can see from the photo the engine is already running rich after the orifice repair.
You can feel the vacuum inside the rocker cover by slowly removing the oil filling cap.

If you want more vacuum just enlarge the orifice itself from 1.6mm to I think the hole behind it is 5mm or you can make it rectangular to match the hole on the head, but this will come with higher oil consumption because the blow-by gasses will move faster through the cover so less time to separate them from oil.

Attachments

• Live data_2019-03-31.png
    Live data_2019-03-31.png
    564 KB · Views: 553

Berto

Cheers Nassa.

... I don't think this mode will be beneficial to z22se with oil control rings problem ...

Well it has been positively beneficial on my red car. When I got it with ~193K km it drank about 1 L/1000 km, now after the mod and at ~250k km it drinks about 0.4 L/1000 km.

Moreover, the car revs happier and pulls harder (crankcase vacuum also improves ring sealing), and the oil remains cleaner.

In fact I'm now doing the same mod on my silver car, even though at only 55K km it barely drinks any oil at all (oil control rings not yet stuck).

... the rocker cover is designed perfectly to separate oil from blow-by gasses and to send them back into intake to burn them again because blow-by is a rich gas, all you need is clean the rocker cover thoroughly ...

Unfortunately the L61/Z22SE cam cover is not easily serviceable, for the baffling is riveted and we risk destroying it if taken apart. Another engineering feat. :banghead:

... If you want more vacuum just enlarge the orifice itself from 1.6mm to I think the hole behind it is 5mm or you can make it rectangular to match the hole on the head ...

IMHO having to pull apart the whole intake manifold and associated items just to service a frigging hole is a plainly ridiculous proposition. Better to add an external and easily serviceable additional post-throttle PCV line.

... but this will come with higher oil consumption because the blow-by gasses will move faster through the cover so less time to separate them from oil.

I happen to disagree. An extra or "by-pass" post-throttle PCV line lowers oil consumption empirically. What I believe really happens is that what is in essence a larger metered orifice increases flow volume (good for crankcase evacuation, specially on high mileage engines), while decreasing flow velocity (good for reducing oil consumption, as you've explained).

^ That's a nice gadget, displays very interesting info. Is it some kind of OBD2 scanner, Nassa?

Nassa

Cheers Nassa.

Well it has been positively beneficial on my red car. When I got it with ~193K km it drank about 1 L/1000 km, now after the mod and at ~250k km it drinks about 0.4 L/1000 km.

Moreover, the car revs happier and pulls harder (crankcase vacuum also improves ring sealing), and the oil remains cleaner.

In fact I'm now doing the same mod on my silver car, even though at only 55K km it barely drinks any oil at all (oil control rings not yet stuck).

Unfortunately the L61/Z22SE cam cover is not easily serviceable, for the baffling is riveted and we risk destroying it if taken apart. Another engineering feat. :banghead:

IMHO having to pull apart the whole intake manifold and associated items just to service a frigging hole is a plainly ridiculous proposition. Better to add an external and easily serviceable additional post-throttle PCV line.

I happen to disagree. An extra or "by-pass" post-throttle PCV line lowers oil consumption empirically. What I believe really happens is that what is in essence a larger metered orifice increases flow volume (good for crankcase evacuation, specially on high mileage engines), while decreasing flow velocity (good for reducing oil consumption, as you've explained).

^ That's a nice gadget, displays very interesting info. Is it some kind of OBD2 scanner, Nassa?
That's torque Bluetooth adapter it comes with a CD to download the software on a PC or you can download Torque app to your mobile. Although it doesn't communicate with 2003 models and under.

Nassa

Sorry I think I missed calculate the numbers, when it comes to speed you are right. It will be(decreased) or the same velocity at the breather (V1=V2).
Assuming D1=3.5mm, V1(velocity) at the original breather, and at D2=3.5mm, V2 (not sure about the diameters) at the mode.
But on the original design V2 (orifice)=5×V1 (breather).
So the speed is reduced dramatically on the mode but the quantity or the amount of blow-by gasses removed from the crankcase will be the same.
And that's why my engine is consuming (0.4 - 0.5 L/1000km) almost the same as yours without the mode (173k km).
When it comes to clean valve cover I have the plastic one I soak it overnight with decreaser than a water hose in each section of the baffling a heaps of carbon deposit came out from the cover.

Attachments

• 20181112_100905.jpg
    20181112_100905.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 227

Nassa

Of course servicing the mode way easier than the orifice, but since the EGR removed, the orifice is clean. I cleaned mine 2 years ago, last time I checked still clean when I changed intake gasket.
The dirty oil you saw not because of the PCV it's the rings I do have oil on spark plug threads 4 & 3 and my revs are happy except some hunting when hot.

Nassa

By the way Berto the orifice is venting 20 - 30mm from the beginning of runners 3&4 so the blow-by gasses plus oil will not traveling deep inside the manifold, it will feed back to the engine right away (no gunk).
On the other side the mode will stain the manifold.