Saab engine build

vocky

Staff
I really like the way the new crank sensor position is exactly centred on the oil pump TDC mark :D

What you cannot see in the picture is that the z22se crank is in the exact same position to the standard z22se crank sensor location as the new trigger wheel and crank sensor position :cool:

SAM_3445.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

vocky

Staff
so the pair of crank assemblies are almost ready for collection after balancing, however the Eagle conrods would not fit the Eagle crank (n)

So they had to send them off to be machined, you would have thought Eagle would have made them compatible :confused:

Hopefully some more picture updates soon :D

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
so the pair of crank assemblies are almost ready for collection after balancing, however the Eagle conrods would not fit the Eagle crank (n)

So they had to send them off to be machined, you would have thought Eagle would have made them compatible :confused:

Hopefully some more picture updates soon :D
to wide ?
@vocky how long did it take for the rods and piston to arrive in the uk ?

vocky

Staff
finally collected the two crank assemblies from Vibration Free :D

So finished building this stage 2 SC engine - fully balanced crank assembly / pistons / rods / flywheel / clutch.

Eagle rods and wiseco 8.9:1 pistons.

SAM_3446.JPG

Pistons and rods fitted.

SAM_3449.JPG

Torqued up.
SAM_3450.JPG

I found a good use for a duff F23 gearbox, perfect clutch alignment tool :whistle:

New clutch balanced on the TTV flywheel

SAM_3451.JPG

bottom end complete - thermostat removed to allow electric water pump and heater hose connections removed because otherwise the coolant flow goes haywire :rolleyes:

SAM_3452.JPG

Water pump delete - but with balancer delete added if owner changes his mind.

SAM_3453.JPG

vocky

Staff
todays turn was the Eagle 2.2 steel crank turbo engine :D

The steel crank has a radius rather than an under-cut each side of the bearings, this meant the conrod bearings had to have a chamfer machined. I originally thought it was the conrods touching the crank, but upon closer inspection they altered just the bearings and charged £180 + vat :mad:

SAM_3455.JPG

Eagle crank fitted

SAM_3456.JPG

Wiseco Pistons with Eagle steel rods fitted to cylinders 1 + 4

SAM_3459.JPG

And 2 + 3

SAM_3460.JPG

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
ARP head studs

SAM_3465.JPG

Cometic head gasket and thermostat housing added, the Saab thermostat is inside the z22se housing (the Saab housing does not fit with the F23 gearbox).
Not obvious but the coolant temp sensor is brand new.

SAM_3467.JPG

Matt

Administrator
Lots of shiny new things in those pictures!

What's the deal with LUK clutches then? When I had my gearbox rebuilt, the garage mentioned they wouldn't touch LUK with a barge pole, even though they are made around the corner from me.

vocky

Staff
I forgot to take any pics yesterday :whistle:

But it was only bolting the head on and timing the chains with my vernier kit, so pretty boring stuff :LOL:

External trigger wheel required because the Eagle crank has no internal trigger wheel.

SAM_3469.JPG

Coil pack modified and fitted. I have used the Saab alloy coolant pipe because I didn't realise they were different to the z22se item when the guy shipped the other z22se parts over to the UK. But it might be okay as this engine is going to be a 2.2 turbo, so the exhaust manifold downpipe flange might not be an issue.

SAM_3470.JPG

The starter motors supplied by Neo's were all secondhand, but for £30 not too bad. At least the belt tensioner was brand new, but obviously at extra cost.

SAM_3471.JPG

vocky

Staff
The head was already built up, so fitting that was just 10 x nuts and washers and 4 x bolts :D

Anyway, I whipped the cam cover off and took some pics, as I realised that I had not taken any of this particular engine :confused:

Saab adjustable cam sprockets, note the clearance between the Saab roller rockers and the Supertech valve spring retainers. Unlike the z22se versions which require grinding for clearance.

SAM_3473.JPG

ARP head studs, with washers and nuts. Supertech double valve springs. Do not forget that the Saab heads require flat washer spark plugs - not z22se taper spark plugs.

SAM_3474.JPG

CompCams turbo grind camshafts. You can just make out that I have fitted a spare z22se crank sensor to block off the hole. Obviously the original will need to be mounted above the crank pulley.

Oil pressure switch is temporally refitted in the Saab poisition, along with the Saab oil filter cap. As this engine is going into a vx220 they will be removed upon install and replaced with the vx220 oil cooler set up. Not forgetting the special oil filter housing blanking mechanism.

SAM_3475.JPG

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
just googled a picture of the vx220 specific oil filter blanking mechanism, thanks to Jason of vx220.org for the picture.

This part is not available new, so do not lose it !

oil way mechanism.jpg