Project Freeze My engine Off (SAAB B207R Supercharged)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
:) i like shiny new tools
You will need a second bat cave soon!
got plenty of room now i cleared it out you will have to pop down and have a look :)
I do like the mitutoyo verniers used to use their stuff when I work in fabrication, we found it much more accurate than cheeper brands and better life span. (y)
yeah there nice but a bit steep at £118 :confused:

right went out and did a bit of playing with the crank
cleaned all the holes out with break&carb cleaner with my new brush
WP_000651.jpg

journals are all clean and tidy now the shaft is still a bit dirty hopefully it will get cleaned if i use it
WP_000654.jpg WP_000656.jpg

new tool made life easier
WP_000660.jpg

each journal got measured 4 times
w1 = woodruff key end w2 = same journal but other edge
f1 = flywheel peg so 90% difference to w1 and f2 is as above
some mixed readings but engineer dad says after .00 theres not much difference :)
WP_000661.jpg

used z22se crank has 55.980mm on most
brand new saab crank 55.993 :)
WP_000663.jpg

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
I have now got the right ones for measuring the inside of bits
WP_000667.jpg WP_000670.jpg

and the micrometer 25-50mm just for measuring the rod journals
WP_000672.jpg

not had chance to use them yet have been fitting climate control to a mates van :)

vocky

Staff
just to let you know the Saab thermostat housing will hit the F23 gearbox if you try and fit it. It cannot be made to fit, it is cast the wrong shape (n)

The left hand side of the housing in your picture is where the problem is located.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
just to let you know the Saab thermostat housing will hit the F23 gearbox if you try and fit it. It cannot be made to fit, it is cast the wrong shape (n)

The left hand side of the housing in your picture is where the problem is located.
hey neil
think you mentioned that earlier on in the thread
i picked up a z22se one for free im just looking for a way to adopt the oil cooler to the z22se system as the astra dont have any oil cooling system at all unlike the vx220

what about the net thermostat housing on the m32 much room there for it ?

vocky

Staff
if you haven't used any engine sealant on the 'bung' it will pop out and blow oil everywhere, this is due to crankcase pressure.

No idea if the saab thermostat will fit with a M32, I have an electric pump set up :p

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
if you haven't used any engine sealant on the 'bung' it will pop out and blow oil everywhere, this is due to crankcase pressure.

No idea if the saab thermostat will fit with a M32, I have an electric pump set up :p
its an interference fit :) i had to hammer it in with a punch real hard its tighter than a core plug :confused:
ment the o-ring will seal it for oil so it dont leak but i dont think it will get that far :)

gonna take the z22se thermostat housing for sand blasting then adopt it to fit the oil cooler

so many little jobs to do waiting on pay day for pistons and rod lol
gona make the call now to see about the work to crank and the prices

vocky

Staff
what work to crank ? balancing ?

vibration free quoted me £365 for full balance - crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, clutch cover and crank sprocket.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
what work to crank ? balancing ?

vibration free quoted me £365 for full balance - crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, clutch cover and crank sprocket.
andrews precision
quoted me £120 for all of the above :)
but i want to ask their price for knife edging but not extreme im not wanting a butcher crank lol

Subject: RE: Website contact form

Hello Carl

All medium size 4 cyl crank units are £70 for the crank/flywheel/clutch/front pulley plus £30 for the rods and pistons, making £100 in all.

All prices subject to VAT at 20%

Each component ie flywheel/clutch/front pulley is added to the crank and individually balanced so that each component is balanced in it's own right.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Regards

Trevor Wilkinson
Director

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Carl

Yes, we zero balance cranks first and then add each component (flywheel,clutch,front pulley) balancing them as we add them.

By all means buy a lightened (steel?) flywheel but it's a good idea to balance it on the back of your own crank even though it has been machine mandrel balanced.

We end for end balance the conrods down to zero and match weigh the pistons, again to zero.

You don't need the balance shafts for performance, they oppose secondary forces but effectively are trying to tear the block apart.

Regards

Trevor

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
just got off the phone with them
the knife edging and balancing comes to £240-vat
im taking the crank over to them now so he can start knife edging it then send him the flywheel and pistons and rods soon :)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
you do realise that all the mad doc's knife edged crank engines self-destructed don't you :eek:
im not the mad doc :)
and im having the crank done by a guy who has 30 years experience of just working on cranks hes not going to be taking to much off
he showed me one off the shelf next time i see my crank it will be lightened and balanced :)
WP_000692.jpg

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
So whats the advantages of having the crank knife edged?

looks nice though?(y)
more oil dynamic and lighter meaning better engine spin up time
think of more aerodynamic but with oil cuts thru :)
and the cost of this crank and the work is still cheaper than a bought one i also get the chance to get the crank checked over by an expert before fitting it to my engine :)