My vx220 project

Status
Not open for further replies.

corsaZ22se

same make as my cooler but I've gone for oil to air to loose heat faster. may run to cold come the winter though :(

vocky

Staff
not much happening at the moment as I have been ill for nearly a week :depressed:

However I was tidying up the wiring loom in the engine bay, which does look much better :)

ps: still no head gasket (n)

vocky

Staff
some pictures of last weeks mods :)

ARP head studs fitted

624.jpg

webcon Lambda connection replaced with vx220 OEM version and in the original factory location

625.jpg

A rubbish 'Paint' edited picture :whistle:

the yellow line with red dots shows where the crank sensor loom used to run and the yellow line with green dots shows the new location of the loom.
It used to run with the injector loom and then across the side of the engine, now it runs direct from the ECU along the bulkhead to the crank sensor located at the crank pulley end of the engine.

626.JPG

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
think I'm going to buy another Cometic MLS gasket, even though this one failed.

edit: it never failed, it was just rust caused by using the wrong type of coolant.

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
there were talks of the headgasket going with darton liners which ever gasket was used
hit and miss tho they say the mls some say the gm but ive not had any issues with mine yet and ive probably done more miles on mine since fitted ?

vocky

Staff
The Darton sleeves probably played a part in the head gasket failure, but thankfully I noticed the first signs (coolant discolour) and thus prevented any damage.

All cylinders had 215 PSI with my Snap-On compression gauge.

My guess is at full chat (7900rpm) the head bolts couldn't control the 11.5:1 compression ratio and allowed a tiny amount of lift, which coupled with the Darton sleeves allowed gases to escape from between the cylinders and into the coolant.

I will get a picture of the head gasket, it makes more sense then.

vocky

Staff
chucked the old head gasket onto the block, chucked the head on top. Fitted the car cover and shut the garage door.

Another low point in vx220 ownership ...... yep :depressed:

Status
Not open for further replies.