2006 Signum no power steering

sjburt

Hi

My 2006 Signum Z22YH has recently had the power steering fail.

For the first two days it would have the light on and no power on starting but after a drive of about 10 minutes it would start working again.

FYI the car has done around 120k miles and has never had any problems like this before.

Now it seems to be completely out.

Used my free copy of OP-COM to extract the codes.
Did a modules presence check and it shows the EHPS as "No Communication" while all the others are present including the CIM

Engine:
P1565 - <Unknown DTC>
(71) - Not present

U2103 - CAN-Bus Node no Communication
(70) - Not present

ABS:
U2103 - CAN-Bus No Communication with ECM (Engine Control Module)
(00) - Present

Body CIM (Steering Column Module):
U2103 - No Communication with CAN-Bus (High Speed)
(00) - Not present
U2111 - CAN-Bus No Communication With EHPS (Electro-Hydaulic-Power-Steering)
(00) - Present

In case it's related in anyway 10 months ago had the alternator fail due to oil fouling, while driving to the garage the dashboard would come and go with a related relay clunking from the area of the glove box. Had the alternator replaced and the timing chain and sump seals renewed, all OK since apart from the occasions when the cruise control drops off on its own, but will go back on again OK.

This week since the power steering problem took of the front bumper to get proper access to the pump in the front wheel arch, topped it up although it was not low, just nearer to the lower line than the top, also even though the car was on level surface the lines were not particularly horizontal, but not like it has had a whack, so think it has always been slightly wonky.

One thought is that the two lines are very close together not giving much leeway for error, is it better to be too full?

Checked battery and put it on charge, wasn't taking much charge and voltage was fine battery also not very old.

Checked all the fuses in the under bonnet fuse box, all OK.

Checked the electrical connections into the pump and made sure they were clean.

Removed and reseated the ABS connector as that was mentioned in a post I saw online.

Have so far failed to figure out how to reseat the plug on the steering angle sensor (assume this is the one at the end of the column near the rack) as that is probably favorite to me.

How to proceed from here?

Does Steering column module mean the steering angle sensor or the switch where the key goes?

How to test the power at the pump? saw somewhere that it needs 14 volts, two plugs in all and which pins do I need to check in which plug?

Ref the codes above:
P1565-71 seen a post saying this is cruise control related ... have had problems with the cruise turning itself off but just ignored it cos it's not too much of a problem so maybe a code left by that.
U2103-70 a post referring to the fuel pump ... replaced that with th upgrade about 3 years ago, so hope not . runs ok

The other codes seem to indicate the EHPS.

I have checked the canbus from the ODBC connector using a diagram I found on one the web. I tested from pin 6 to 14 and got the expected 60 ohms result.
I assume the CIM is the steering column sensor ... right?

Could it simply be the sensor?

Sorry for war and peace.

Thanks in advance.