Zafira 2.2 Direct - Power Lose (Limp Mode)

Plumrico

We have an intermittent problem and getting more frequent where the car just loses power (usually when in traffic or going slowly) and the revs will not go over 3000. The car still move albeit slowly so can park and then attempt to restart the engine. We often have to try this 8, 9, 10 or more times before the engine kicks back into life and will fully rev.

When this problem happens we get an engine management light appear on the dashboard.

This is a 2.2i Automatic SRI 07 plate.

The car has been serviced and filters, oil etc changed, we changed the battery and the problem we thought had got better but it is still happening.

So we had to move the Zafira but the battery was dead so called the RAC, really nice guy gave us a jump and said that our battery was only at 40% so we should take it back to Halford (who he said were not good). He also plugged us in to the diagnostics when I said we had been having issues and this is what he gave us:

Diagnostic Codes
RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM
System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES
Name: Z22YH - MS81C
DTC: P0304,cylinder 4
DTC: P1191,Fuel pressure system
DTC: P0302,cylinder 2
System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES
Name: Z22YH - SIMTEC 81
DTC: P0304,Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
DTC: P1191,fuel pressure
DTC: P0302,Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
System Type: BRAKES
Name: ANTILOCK BRAKING SYSTEM - DIAGNOS
DTC: C0240,Invalid data received from engine control module
DTC: C0800,System voltage
System Type: BRAKES
Name: ANTILOCK BRAKING SYSTEM - MK 70
DTC: C0240,ECM communication fault
DTC: C0800,System Voltage Low
System Type: CHASSIS
Name: UNDER HOOD ELECTRONIC CENTER - UEC RZM INTEDIS
DTC: B2575,Left low beam circuit
System Type: STEERING
Name: POWER STEERING - ELECTRO HYDRAULIC POWER STEERING (EHPS)
DTC: C1523,System voltage
System Type: STEERING
Name: POWER STEERING - ELECTRO HYDRAULIC POWER STEERING
DTC: C1523,System Voltage Low
System Type: IMMOBILISER
Name: IMMOBILISER - CIM
DTC: B3601,Key Capture Relay
DTC: B3649,Steering wheel electronic, left scroll button
Name: IMMOBILISER - CIM VALEO A-3300 - WITHOUT PEPS(PASSIVE ENTRY & PASSIVE START)
Name: IMMOBILISER - CIM VALEO A-3300 - WITH PEPS(PASSIVE ENTRY & PASSIVE START) -
PEPS(PASSIVE ENTRY & PASSIVE START)
System Type: CENTRAL ELECTRONIC UNIT
Name: REAR ELECTRONICS - REC RZM INTEDIS
DTC: B1342,Alarm horn
DTC: B2545,Rear left reverse light circuit
DTC: B2955,Ultrasonic Module
DTC: B3880,Rear right reverse light circuit
DTC: B3916,Alarm horn
System Type: STEERING WHEEL ELECTRONICS
Name: STEERING WHEEL ELECTRONICS - CIM VALEO A-3300
System Type: INSTRUMENT PANEL
Name: INSTRUMENT - BID DELTA
DTC: U2102,CAN-bus (mid speed) maxim

He said that we should get a new ignition coil and change the sparks, he didn't have on the truck but said that it wasn't a tricky thing to do.

Most of the codes are electric based which is understandable with the battery issue however DTC: P1191,Fuel pressure system is a concern..... apparently the Zafira 2.2L Automatics has a bit of a known issue?
It's an 07 plate and when it runs its good but we don't want to spend a load of cash trying to diagnose the issue of it going to Limp Mode

Anyone have any advice???

KevinH

The Z22YH's showing the DTC code 1191 is quite a regular occurrence and indicates that there's a fault with the high pressure fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator which usually means replacement of one or both of these parts.

I believe the original fuel pumps were manufactured by Siemens but the replacements were made by Continental.
Vauxhall had a recall on both of these parts which you can check if your vehicle has had by ringing either Vauxhall themselves or a dealer should be able to tell you if it has already been done if you don't have the full history.

Last edited:
I would go Fuel pressure regulator, I had the same with sitting in traffic all the time the engine light would come on and into limp mode. 24404015

Plumrico

Well I have ordered a new ignition coil and plugs and will change those, fingers crossed it works. Fuel pump is an issue and also just found out that the 2.2 direct can't use the new E10 fuel..... If I can get it running I think it's days may be numbered.

Plumrico

Changed the coil and the plugs and still no joy.

I don't think that it's going to be financially sensible to get it fixed which is a shame.

Need to get my hands on an OPCOM I think.