Using alot of oil

Astra52

So ive not long bought a Vauxhall Astra 52plate 2.2 sri hatchback.

I seem to be going through a lot of oil at the moment. I've been using Halfords part synthetic 10w40 but seem to be going through a lot of it.

from what I can see there are no leaks around the engine and there are no oil patches on the floor when I park up but a lot of oil seems to be finding its way into my manifold and abit of oil seems to be getting into my breather pipes and throttle bodies.

anybody able to help or shine some light on why this is happening and how I can potentially stop it.

vocky

Staff
the normal reason is gunged up oil rings on the pistons, but a blocked PCV system can also cause excess oil consumption

Last edited:

Astra52

hi vocky. thanks for your reply.

I cant find much info on the pcv system wondered if you could tell me what components are involved with it for me to look at and clean out if necessary.

vocky

Staff
there is a small pcv restrictor between inlet ports 2 and 3, plus the cam cover cam get gunged up inside. The PCV works inside the cam cover on the z22se.

Johnss

Have same problem. After looking for solution, I have came to conclusion that unfortunately the only actual way to fix this is to change piston rings and valve seals..

patricks

Have same problem. After looking for solution, I have came to conclusion that unfortunately the only actual way to fix this is to change piston rings and valve seals..

Seems to be that way - i cleaned my pcv port and no decrease in oil use engine feels smoother and more responsive but thats all. Dont understand how it can be rings/seals if compression is still good and no smoke out the exhaust even with sustained high revs. Just curious Johnss did u try the pcv thingy from the cam cover to the egr line??

patricks

Hey patricks I think I tried everything.
1) cleaned inlet valve
2) pcv, camcover to inlet egr mod
3) oil cap mod https://z22se.co.uk/threads/my-version-of-the-filler-cap-breather-mod.28430/
4) different oils..
Nothing actually helps.
Next will try valve seal replacement in near future :D

Have u done a leak down test Johnss? Ive come to the conclusion that in my engine the compression rings must be dirty - i dont have the time or inclination to change them so im going to put carb cleaner in the bores overnight and then drain the oil the next day and hope that cleans them. Ive no idea how the compression rings could be clogged!!!! My engine is spotless on the inside comparable to a new engine even.....can only think it was because my car sat idle for ten months when i lost my licence :Vomit:

KevinH

The Owners Manuals do mention that the Z22SE's can use oil (along with other engine codes):
0.6 Litre / 1000 Km (appx 1 Litre / 1000 Miles).

IMG_0507.JPG
(Image courtesy of evocarlos)

Last edited: