track rod end needs changing.

carson_sri

I need to replace a track rod end. Has anyone got a thread on doing this. would rather do it myself if its an easy job.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
if you can wait i will be doing mine at the weekend :)
i can get some pics
issue is you will never get the tracking right at home and will need setting up after there fitted :)

jwalker

Short answer is:

- remove wheel
- loosen locking nut at end of track rod end
- remove track rod end nut
- to remove the end from the hub you can use a splitter, I just gave the part of the hub that the track rod end goes through a couple of whacks with a big hammer
- unscrew old track rod end, I then cleaned the threads on the tie rod with a wire brush and put on some copper grease
- screw on new track rod end and put through hub
- tighten nut and tighten locking nut against it. I didn't remove the locking nut, didn't see the need and it meant the tracking was less likely to be as out
- replace wheel and get tracking checked

This vid might be useful:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
thats a good vid :)
only issue i saw was he said the wheel bolts at 70nm but of steelys its 100nm and 110nm for alloys :)

m4rtin

Maybe it could be the front anti roll bar. Jack the car up with the wheels off and give everything a good shake. That may help indicate where the rattle is coming from.

carson_sri

im hoping its only a ball joint or drop link. but i will try shaking it hopfully i can find the problem soon. cheers martin.

Sjdickso

Staff
Forgot how many I have got through, I treat them as service items lol, best change the anti roll bar bush as well that used to make a horrid noise when worn.

carson_sri

When the car is not moving I can hear something grinding when I turn the wheels and I can feel something clicking on the steering wheel and when i have the brake pressed. fixing the track rod has highlighted other problems :(. Anyone got an idea what it might be.