Z22SE Poor performance and stalling

V3trox

So last night i finally got to take my z22se van out for a blast and she certainly isn't performing as she should.

Occasionally (although its a common occurance) she likes to stall out coming off overrun. Not all the time but still.

Also she smells quite lean (almost burns my nose, and it doesnt smell like burning cat which leads me to that assumption but im really bad at working lean from rich just by smelling it will pull the plugs later and see how they look) when you give it some and take it past 4krpm

She had new coil and plugs before I went out but she could barley keep pace with a 1.3 12v hyundai accent. Im stuck inside looking after my baby until later on so before I plug it in and try to find some codes (theres no eml however) I wanted to get opinions on what might be causing it.

The fuel pump is currently wired up to a relay so Im certain its getting enough fuel from the pump.

I want to whip the egr off and hopefully just blank it out in the future but am i able to clean it whilst its off?. My understanding is that these dont open up at WOT anyway. Could the egr be ing stuck open cause my stalling and poor performance? Turns out my engine already has blanking plate on the egr. The engine idles almost perfectly (very tiny hunting) just when you come off the throttle (Especially from overrun) the revs drop and tries to stall.

NOTE: It doesnt do this when the engine is cold and overall performs way better when its cold.

Any ideas, start shooting things my way :)

EDIT: just read the cts fault no eml sticky. Might have to unplug it and see how it runs. I ahve noticed that the fans like to be on an awful lot but she sits at the middle of the temp guage?

A final beg for assistance. Does anyone know if the cts on the z22 is the same part number as any other engines (preferably the diesel ones :) )

Last edited:

V3trox

Quick update. I got 10 minutes to pull the plugs. Drenched in fuel. Makes me think its rich instead of lean.

I also got time to take it for a quick spin. Whilst its cold it runs flawlessly but when its warm she starts losing power and playing silly buggers. It sits at the 90 degrees mark (dead center on the gauge) when warm and the fans are never off. Even when cruising down the motorway.

Im gonna let it cool down and make sure the coolant has been properly bled. I dropped by my local motor factors and they dont even list a cts. Will have to wait for an ebay one to arrive.

Still waiting for my mate to surface so he can bring his scanner round.

milo

5M1THY had an issue with his van over fuelling not that long ago i think he sorted it by changing CTS also? Let him confirm that.

V3trox

Thanks guys. From what I have read too, it does seem like it could be a cts fault. I have ordered one but wont be here till tuesday :(

5M1THY

mine never cut out but it would idle around 1000rpm which is way to high it normally sits at 700-750 I changed the cts sensor which helped but for me the cause is the front lamda sensor making it over fuel..
If you have opcom look under measuring blocks and the lamda should read just over 900 mine fluctuates from 080 to 850.

V3trox

mine never cut out but it would idle around 1000rpm which is way to high it normally sits at 700-750 I changed the cts sensor which helped but for me the cause is the front lamda sensor making it over fuel..
If you have opcom look under measuring blocks and the lamda should read just over 900 mine fluctuates from 080 to 850.

I really must invest in opcom but next on the list will be the 02 sensors. Fortunatley i have a spare one in the garage that i can try out.

V3trox

Anyone got any idea what this is for?
ai121.photobucket.com_albums_o231_Vindi06_6c290d30_0ee6_4a6c_a11a_b80946f0499e_zps97b27920.jpg

ai121.photobucket.com_albums_o231_Vindi06_ae0a3a1c_65fb_4a2d_90db_762dec917d99_zpse334ef7a.jpg

The wire on the other side was broken and was touching the earthing strap thats in that area. Cause me to keep blowing a fuse till i found it. Any ideas where the rest of it should be going? Just a single brown wirre.

My opcom is at the post office as i wasnt awake when it arrived. If its got a pdf with it i will get it up loaded

Dave Gilbert

Single brown wire goes to a small box

I think its just for static on the stereo. Cant think what its called

Attachments

• 20150211_162531.jpg
    20150211_162531.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 300