low power

gsi2000

Hi guys,
Can anyone shed any light on a problem im having.
Vectra c 2.2 sri, low on power through all the gears until revs reach 3.5k then it takes off. 5Th gear tho its dead, foot to floor it doesnt wanna go.
Past 2 times ive started it the revs idle about 300rpm and hunts slightly. When the throttle is applied it wants to cut out, after 10-15 seconds revs will rise but still wants to die under throttle. Wait a little bit longer and it returns to normal. Low power and jerks when driving.
As the car warms up the jerkyness goes but loss of power remains.
Got egr blanked off and cheater fitted. Tb was cleaned out a couple of weeks ago. 2-3 second rattle from timing chain when stood for a few hours.
No lights on dash
New fuel filter, spark plugs a month ago and oil filter
Oil catch can fitted

Feels like a fuel delivery or air restriction problem

milo

Try replacing the CTS (coolant temperature sensor) only few quid but a gm not a copy. Search on the forum for the symptoms cts fault and it won't put the eml on either.

gsi2000

I was going to try the cts but thought the problems seemed a bit severe based on what the cts does. Ive got a genuine cts priced up so will try it over weekend.
Cheers

IDI AMIN

Could be chain related, you say a chain rattle it could be slack
A blocked pre cat maybe or coil pack related

gsi2000

May sound like a daft question but anyway to test the precat without taking it off?

*edit*
Just had a look at my exhaust. Not sure i have a precat, from the block theres a maniverter, link pipe with flexi, centre pipe with long boxes, and back box.

Last edited:

IDI AMIN

ai693-photobucket-com_albums_vv292_dewismotorsport_photo_208-jpg.49055

This is what the pre cat looks like . It is possible the vec c does not have them i can't say for sure . Maybe Dave Gilbert can confirm this

You just need to eliminate the possibilities one at a time starting with the least costly

gsi2000

Thanks for the replies, gonna have a look at it properly this weekend. The lack of power below 3.5k has been there since i bought the car but the cold start idling/revving problem only seems to have occured the day after fitting the egr cheater and blanking plate. Going to remove that and put egr back on to see if thats the cause. Coolant temp sensor should arrive today hopefully.

vocky

Staff
It's certainly worth removing the egr cheater first, otherwsie it might be a melted cat or the chain has jumped a tooth.

gsi2000

UPDATE

removed egr cheater and changed cts. new genuine cts appears to be faulty, cooling fan runs at high speed as soon as ignition is switched on and throws up code p0118
reset ecu by disconnecting battery
still running the same. although taking longer to fire up.

Op-com states bank 1 sensor 1 and 2 both running rich