Fitting a Standalone ECU

rik1083

Re: Fitting the megasquirt ecu

well guys, I bottled it. Two unknowns is too much at once, and I want to get the car running asap, I miss it :( . I'll continue with the ETC at a later date..
(thanks to rabidh for giving me this idea)
05082009215.jpg

ordered one of these.. 70mm

e6b8_12.JPG

vocky

Staff

I was going to use one of those on mine, but I have other cunning plans for phase 3 :LOL:

rik1083

I fitted an elise throttle linkage at the weekend.. (the pic above didnt give enough movement and got in the way of my big feet)
I had some help from a friend who is some kind of design person for an aerospace company, but he wasn't much use, just kept taking useless photos

15082009221_001.jpg

15082009229.jpg

this goes under the dash and amplifies the pedal movement

quxlgrgceqfe.jpg

17082009234.jpg

need bigger inlet tube and filter now

17082009235.jpg

wiring tidied away a bit

17082009236.jpg

test to see if clam still fits

17082009237.jpg

rik1083

he had 1 used one in stock
it would be so easy to make though if you want to do it i can give you the dimensions

rik1083

here's what it looks like down there..

19082009238.jpg

knock sensor ms from canada

22082009240.jpg

knock led where i can see it

22082009242.jpg

:wtf:
megasquirt, racelogic traction control, techedge wideband, car pc, amplifier, fuse box, 2x speakers, alarm internal sensor

22082009244.jpg

rik1083

slindborg said:
car pc for on the fly remapping? lol

yep :p
I've had it for ages though, it used to be under the dash

I just drove to work with autotune running :D

rik1083

the fuel table has an auto-generate thing where you put in your maximum manifold pressures and expected peak torque and peak hp at x revs and y pressure.. but it seems to be a bit useless.
Am I right in thinking that more fuel is proportinal to torque? If so, then it looks like there's not going to be much of a curve in fueling as the torque curve is very straight on these sc'd cars. The auto generator is predicting a huge torque curve.. I've basically been drastically reducing the table as it want's to put more and more fuel in the further to peak torque it goes.
I've only driven in the bottom left 1/4 of the map so far.. should I be expecting a big rise in fuel later on? or will the fuel curve be quite similar to my torque curve?

Cheers
Richard

slindborg

right then (cant post on .org as work is mean lol)

Your fueling will kinda track the torque curve (or prescribe it if you limit things with fuel) until peak torque. Peak torque is maximum cylinder filling of air for the given engine setup, meaning thats in theory the highest fuel consuiming point. BUT after peak torque you are then running in power terms (air consumed in X time) which reduces the explicit fuel requirement, but increases generated heat. Heat generated can be cooled with fuel (stops the exhaust valves getting the hump and leaving) hence why it will sort of plateau off or even increase at the higher loads.

Also as with everthing engine related, its never that simple. In short calibrate to what you want the thing to do and then smooth the maps to make them easy on the eye (That is something the guy teaching me passed on, smooooooth is good once you have the rough point).

As for RR time, I can see the problem in that they wont want some oik on there not using their mapping time money. Got a mate who you can trust to drive EXACTLY how you ask them? IME calibrating on the road is 90% of the work as you ge tto feel the driveability and then the last 10% of bits on the dyno for pub talk :D

rik1083

thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot of sense and follows what I have discovered so far.

meet megalog viewer:
Suprisingly (or maybe not?), I'm at the point already where autotune is making no changes, i've done about 90 miles so far. It had pretty much sorted the "cruising range" yesterday, so on the way home today I saw no reason to run it.. but I did log the session in megatune. Now if I import my configuration and the logfile into megalog viewer.. it's able to calculate recommended fuel for the points that you may not stay at long enough to cause autotune to do it's thing.. and also does quite a bit of the smoothing process

mlv1.PNG

I had to change the spark map slightly after this morning (currently running alanoo's safe map but modified a bit in the boost region).. as it was causing stuttering in 5th then trying to accelerate moderately, but I had to add more advance not less, so looks like it is quite safe and leaves a lot of room for playing.. but other than that it's exactly what I needed.. cheers alanoo!

slindborg

how much advance have you got (max) ? ignoring any other compensation tables.

I noticed on the scangauge I've borrowed it lobs in nearly 40deg of advance when gunning it.... ok its a std N/A but if the engine is boosted right then there shouldnt be a huge world of difference

rik1083

hmm nowhere near that much. I think the max is about 27 at high rpm and low load.
I'm currently at 4000-5000 rpm at 130+ kpa and getting stuttering, there's about 21degrees here but I think stuttering is not enough fuel, will test on way home

alanoo

a SC map would normally have around 16° at WOT/load and high rpm, not much more

Stock N/A with stock CR is around 29 I think

rik1083

anyone wanna help figure out what's wrong? :)

I'm getting a problem going over 4000 rpm with boost (approx 140kpa at this rpm and in 3rd gear)
I've tried adding and removing fuel and adding and removing advance but it always seems to happen at the same point.
I tried in 1st driving over 4000rpm with low load and it easily revs past this which I suppose means the trigger wheel is working ok

I've attached 2 samples with different msq files (different fuel and spark) and two log files while driving these maps.

Attachments

• sample1.zip
    75.8 KB · Views: 193
  • sample2.zip
    571.3 KB · Views: 204

alanoo

Try adding some gap to the VR sensor

at certain precise RPM the wheel/crank pulley could go in a weird resonance and it f**ks the VR sensor signal
I had this kind of thing at ~6500rpm

rik1083

will give that a go..
but look at this screen shot of the problem area.. I don't think that's the problem

afr already at 14.5 before the stuttering starts... it should be much lower
fuel pulse width stays the same, but it gets leaner and leaner then it starts
I'm thinking fuel pressure or something? notsure.gif

mlv2.PNG

slindborg

can you get it to tell you the duty cycle of the injectors?

what injectors are you using?
It does look like the injectors are maxing out (and explains why you can do it fine in 1st but under load its a no go)