Fitting a Standalone ECU

rik1083

I've been building up to this project for quite some time and have got pretty much all the parts, so I made a start..

new hole in manifold for the megasquirt IA temp sensor. You can use the standard temp sensors but have to calibrate them which I didn't fancy doing really, so I got the proven megasquirt sensors. Drilled and tapped to to 3/8" NPT (quite a weird thread but picked up a tap easily enough)

20072009186.jpg

Same for coolant temp sensor (picked up a spare thermostat housing)

20072009187.jpg

Manifold, charger, ecu, loom and charge cooler piping all removed (going to replace the nasty clear pipes at the same time)

20072009188.jpg

this is what you're left with.. only 22 pins, of which i think I only need to reuse 14. The rest will be connected straight into the ms

20072009189.jpg

relocated relays & fuses.. I hate having these in the boot so finally moved them

20072009190.jpg

exmantaa

Re: Fitting the megasquirt ecu

Nice!!
What sensor types are used by the MS? (I would have opted for the standard LSJ's Bosch TMAP, as that is all what you need there)
And what makes it that the Z22SE ecu SC-remap is no more sufficient for you?

Did look at a different ECU myself too. The Z20LET ecu could be an option, has E-TB and is a bit more tunable. Also looked to the Saab Trionic T7. That is now almost opens source and some good DIY programming available on the web. But too much of a project and the courtenay remap still runs ok for now.

Interesting to see what will come out of this.

rik1083

exmantaa said:
What sensor types are used by the MS? (I would have opted for the standard LSJ's Bosch TMAP, as that is all what you need there)

they are some old GM ones..
the map sensor is built into the megasquirt so you just run a pipe from the top of the manifold to wherever you have the ms

exmantaa said:
Nice!!
And what makes it that the Z22SE ecu SC-remap is no more sufficient for you?

The main reason is I want to learn how it all works

but also.. when I add the ported saab head, pistons, and smaller pulley all in different stages, I don't want to have to go to courtenays and back each time

Think of it as moving out of your parent's house.. nothing to stop you doing what you want to do when you want to do it :p

exmantaa

:)
Same here. A remap-trip from Holland to Courtenay (or Hitec) complicates things a bit, so I just run the generic map now. But it now seems that a Dutch guy cracked our ECU a bit more open, so that can make things more interesting for DIY mapping. (Clever stuff => Self learning in closed loop mode and for open loop you can specify the needed AFR's. :D
(I still have a complete 2.0LSJ engine waiting in the garage. A good head job with some cams should make this an interresting revvy supercharged engine for my VX, as the rods and pistons are good for some 300Hp's.)

rik1083

weber/alpha trigger wheel
Notice the TDC marker at 11 o'clock, the red tooth at 6 o'clock (aligns with sensor), and the missing tooth at 9 o'clock.
I believe this means, and please correct me if i'm wrong, that the missing tooth happens 90 degrees in advance of TDC. I think MS will need this info at some point but not looked into it yet :)

22072009192.jpg

22072009193.jpg

22072009194.jpg

rik1083

I will have to give the standard sensors go at a later point when it's all running.
The MS sensors:

22072009197.jpg

rik1083

Tidied up my chargecooler piping no end.

25072009199.jpg

25072009201.jpg

EGR finally good for something :p

25072009200.jpg

rik1083

started on the wiring. Temp sensors, grounding points, +12v for the ms are the easy ones..

25072009202.jpg

the coil pack is a bit fiddle. Throw away the ecu that's mounted on top (as seen with the weber alpha conversion)
There's actually a connector in here that you can use..

25072009205.jpg

just pull it out with a screw driver

25072009204.jpg

25072009203.jpg

secured the wires in with hot glue (can be undone if needed). And i'll probably seal the edges of the connector with silicone when it's running so no water gets in, and then make a ally cover to make it look nice

25072009206.jpg

rik1083

serial connection working, and temp sensors showing real temperatures!

25072009207.jpg

oh and here's the actual ecu

25072009208.jpg

rik1083

injectors firing in test mode (spark too but can't take a photo of that)

27072009210.jpg

rik1083

starts and idles like a pussy cat :D
but anything over 1200 rpm it starts to growl like a dog :p
time for a tidy up then start tuning it

sdbutler10

wow that is some amazing progress you have done there.
ncie work and a nice bit of kit.
now we need videos

rik1083

The box of tricks that controls the throttle. Software on the chip still being tweaked, and proper PCB being developed.

29072009211.jpg

edbutler

Now im not that bad with a soldering iron, but this stuff is hardcore!! Well done mate :D

rik1083

frustrating weekend trying to find why the engine was running lumpy above idle ( was worried I'd damaged the engine somehow). After messing with all the timing gear and even putting the standard ecu back on to see if it gave me any fault codes, turns out one of the injector pins had come out where it connects to the injector.
Put it all back together and running great. I've not taken it for a ride yet, but I'll be putting the clam back on and tidying things up over next few days.
Luckily ms has an autotune feature if you have a wideband sensor, so it should be able to get a nice steady map on it after a bit of driving in circles.