Engine Rebuild Help

jimmo

hi guys, just wondered if any of you have repaired a blown piston without taking the engine out, is it possible as i am a i bit limited to space in my garage where my car lay dead lol. i got it towed back from the garage after they had stripped the head off and saw the damage then called me to say they wanted lots of cash and possibly my liver aswell to fix it lol, so as im not flowing with spare cash it got left in my garage still with the head off , with a nice big hole in the top of one of the pistons about the size of a ten pence piece. i have no time limit as i have a motorbike to get around on so thought why not give it a go, got nothing to lose as i cant afford a big bill all at once. just a bit stuck as to where to start. have started reading haynes to get some pointers but thought some experience might not go a miss cheers for any help folks.:)

IDI AMIN

It is possible with the head removed and the sump removed unbolt the con rod bolts from bottom of connecting rod that is holding onto crankshaft then piston will slide up through engine block

at2_gstatic_com_images_e3e2e6523ee256e5addc19c2d0127fc5._.jpg

where bolts are located
Maybe not same piston but same method of removal just an image to give you an idea

Last edited:
It is possible now as I did all 4 rings last year.
The biggest question is the block, does it look OK?
The sump was a pain to remove but a bit of fiddling it came out without the subframe or anything else removed.
Worse to get back in.
I heard the time for piston rings is 16 hours so labour would be massive no matter what