Engine chain info and pics...

vocky

Staff
RICK... said:
well it's a 2001 lol. should i take it to vauxhall then?

vx charge a few bit to change it, Benny on here will do it the cheapest, he is a vx mechanic too :)

RICK...

Ive spoke to my friend who works at vauxhall she says if there is no outstanding recall on my reg then it has been done or was never recalled, so it wont need doing will it if it hasnt?

bit worried now because ive only just bought the car and now it needs a cam chain replacing?

vocky

Staff
it's just like having the cam belt changed, except it will last 100,000 miles :)

the early engines had the small oil jet fitted, this can block and the chain can snap :(

vauxhall deny that there's anything wrong, so don't rely on the info from the garage.

£250 for Benny to change the chain isn't too bad really, vx want £550 ish :roll:

an independant garage will charge about £400 ish

if there is no rattle on cold start up then the chain is still ok, just listen out for the rattle, 'when / if ' it starts get the chain replaced.

strang

Re: Engine chain

paul said:
hi i had the same problem with the chain in my 2.2 but i ignored it it started when i started the car there was a loud rattling noise

hi guys i got the same as paul a nice wee rattling noice that got louder never thought of about it, then my brother in law took the car to work fininshed went to start then bang, got the quote from the garage to get it repaired £1200. My car is 02 vec c done 103500mls chain never been done fone local vx "yes have it changed at service when needed" fone the vx garage that done the service from new "they dont need changed and its not in the service" now i am just thinkin is this them sayin "we are not taking blame for this"??? my advice is to get it done every 40k or 4 years like it says in the book to advoid a bill like mine.