Riskier

A friend of mine has fitted a new engine to my Astra Bertone Convertible 2.2 z22se, I'm not really clued up on cars and everything seemed to be working fine on the vehicle apart from the power steering until we had to move it a few days later. It seemed the battery was gone as (not all cells working when tested) so we put a new one on and the car seem to go fine then i took it round block etc.... the next day when i went to unlock it and all 4 windows dropped, i started it and went to put the roof down to give it a good clean and the roof got stuck halfway and then wouldn't come back up! I turned key and alarm started going off 2 different ones it would appeared, the roof would then go up if i held the lock button on the key then the battery rapidly went flat. so we recharged the battery and changed the alternator this hasn't solved the problem..... so power steering not working and it isn't fuse, isn't fluid, isn't slipped tension belt, isn't alternator and battery going flat very fast...... ANY IDEAS GUYS? do you think it is electrical fault as the car has been stood for quite a while or is it earth straps not put on correctly or missed off from engine change ? or COULD IT BE SOMETHING ELSE please help me as i really need it back on road asap thankyou

Dave Gilbert

Electrical tester on the battery when running and not running to see what voltage

op-com is good that may help pinpoint.

or a diagnostic tool.

dewismotorsport

Power steering is first to go when battery has low voltage, and I can imagine roof draws a fair bit too.

Test the battery voltage when off and on and see if the alternator is actually charging the battery.

Riskier

Electrical tester on the battery when running and not running to see what voltage

op-com is good that may help pinpoint.

or a diagnostic tool.

he checked it the battery was fine and also both alternators were ok but we changed it over anyway but the alternator isn't charging batter

Riskier

Tried a new alternator still no charge coming from alternator, gonna buy a new regulator and put that on(but both alternators were working on other cars previous). the car was stood for 9 months, circuit tested the earths and they all seemed fine was earthed all over car........ it runs and ticks over whilst hooks up to another vehicle. really stuck on this any more ideas guys ?