Saab engine build

vocky

Staff
Lots of shiny new things in those pictures!

What's the deal with LUK clutches then? When I had my gearbox rebuilt, the garage mentioned they wouldn't touch LUK with a barge pole, even though they are made around the corner from me.

these LUK clutches are made in Germany Matt (y)

I have one in mine and so far it's been fine, which is more than can be said about some others I have used :eek:

PS: some believe they are C20LET clutches :ninja:

vocky

Staff
Is there a solution for the vx oil cooler that does away with those annoying sealing rings?
yes there are two options

a - use the Saab oil cooler and remove the vx220 oil cooler.

b - use the Hitec oil filter adaptor, this replaces the Saab oil cooler and has the connections for the vx220 oil cooler hoses, you then just use the Saab oil filter cap

vocky

Staff
hitec adaptors.jpg

vocky

Staff
so this is the head for the Saab 2.2 Harrop SC engine

Saab valves refitted

SAM_3476.JPG

Saab valve stem seals refitted

SAM_3477.JPG

Supertech inner valve spring seats fitted

SAM_3478.JPG

Supertech double valve springs fitted

SAM_3479.JPG

titanium retainer fitted, just about to add the valve collets

SAM_3480.JPG

all done

SAM_3482.JPG

vocky

Staff
so fitted the head yesterday and today I fitted the timing chain and verniered up the cams :)

A picture of the exhaust ports opened up :D

SAM_3488.JPG

TDC checked

SAM_3490.JPG

and confirmed

SAM_3491.JPG

And done, ready to fit (y)

SAM_3492.JPG

techieboy

Hey Matt, how're things? Yep, bit of a stranger to z22se.co.uk and perhaps more worryingly, stranger to the VX as well. It's done 35 miles (long run to the MOT station) in 14 months. :eek:

vocky

Staff
Well, if you're desperate, I've got a (well two but only one is shiney) B207's sat in the garage here...... :unsure:
whenever you want them tweaking just let me know, it's about time you got yours the way you want it, rather than the way you thought you wanted it ;)

techieboy

If only it where that straightforward. You know me, I'll go for the OEM+'ish 2.0 litre option and then decide that wasn't what I wanted after all. That's why it's been sat here for 14 months without moving, whilst I continually debate what it is I actually want to do. :rolleyes:

On the bright side, the existing complete engine can just go into storage in case I then decide a Stage 3 2.2 was the best option after all. :facepalm:

I should just buy another gearbox and leave that permanently mounted to whichever engine isn't in the car, ready for the inevitable swap. :LOL:

vocky

Staff
Helix clutch finally turned up for the Harrop SC build, the owner wanted to retain the standard flywheel.

IMG_0156.JPG

Something I have not mentioned before, yet is very important - earth straps

IMG_0155.JPG

And it's new home, 3" Tullet and Harrop added

IMG_0157.JPG