Z22SE A Common OIL leak

prolecs

I bought another Z22SE cheapie (always a Convertible for me) with most of the common issues expected at 230k Km, cam chains rattling, oil leaking, foggy headllights, buggared roof latches etc. but it drove ok from the Gold Coast to North of Brisbane after topping up oil, air and water. Even the battery came up after its long period of sitting in the street.
When I got under it, there was a lot more oil under there than in the engine. Drenched from wheel to wheel, bumper to bumper, so a good pressure clean was done to enable investigation to start.
Sump level was weeping, auto trans cooler pipes were loose and leaking, cam cover had some minor leaks, chain cover some weeping, and drive shaft boots were shot. But nothing major major. Worst I could see was coming out the starter motor (hoped it was not a rear seal!) but seemingly not that bad. So ordered a chain kit and gaskets and seals, and put two new drive shafts in as they were both shot anyway, with drop links while I was at it. Got it on the road again with registration and loaned it to a mate to drive for a bit.
Few days later he rang to say it was making a noise (on the other side of the city as well). God I thought, the chains have crapped out. So up early and do the hours drive to get to it.
Checked the oil - none on dipstick. Hmmm on a slope toward the front, that's a bit serious. Mate tells me he topped up oil yesterday as well. Put in a couple of liters, nothing on the stick. Couple more liters and it starts showing. It must have been empty!
Ok, try a start and it rattles a bit but comes good, so we move it to level ground. Check the oil again, but not showing on the stick. Put more oil in and start it up, while I search around for a serious leak on the top side. Plenty of minor leaks and some spilt while topping up but nothing obvious, so pop the head under (well squat and squint under), and it's p**sing out somewhere. BUGGA! Tow truck required as I can't get it home leaking that much oil without killing the engine completely, or getting arrested for polluting.
So clean it again, and up on the hoist. That starter motor is leaking LOTS of oil now. So off it comes while I ponder how to do a rear engine seal.
But inside the flywheel housing is dry, so it's not a rear seal thank God. Maybe its that oil pressure switch that others have mentioned on here. Never had a problem myself. Pull the plug off and oil is running free off the plug and switch. That's the problem all right!
I would never have believed that an intact switch could allow so much oil to pass if I had not seen it.
Down to the parts department and they have one in stock. By end of day, starter motor washed out, new switch installed and it's all back together and actually running quiet enough so it seems no harm done. So it's back on the road again while my fingers are crossed that chains will not fail before new parts arrive from the US of A.
Merry Christmas

vocky

Staff
that is the first time I have heard of the switch leaking on the z22se engine, however I know on the Corsa C the oil sensor can leak very badly.

prolecs

unit removed is part number #24577642 with another number 0632 (date code??) which appears to be a common part across a range of engines.
Anyway if it looks like your starter motor has sprung a big leak, it's not a hole punched in the side of your block, just that pressure switch!

Attachments

• 20161225_081726.jpg
    20161225_081726.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 282

corsaZ22se

i have seen them weeping on 2.2's but not yet failed like that. only on the 1.2 and 1.4 where they just fail with no warning signs. :(
nice when its a simple fix :)

sinisa97

I noticed some oil leak on my Opel Astra Bertone, it's done 230k kilometers. Oil leak situated between battery and engine. Does anyone know what might be the problem here?

Attachments

• 20180630_171208.jpg
    20180630_171208.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 937
  • 20180630_171224.jpg
    20180630_171224.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 1,283
  • 20180630_171140.jpg
    20180630_171140.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 20180630_170746.jpg
    20180630_170746.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 490

sinisa97

Thanks guys. I also have one small problem with the throttle pedal, it seems like it has delayed responce up to 3000rpm about 0.1 or 0.2 secound. It's really annoying when changing gears, I have to be very carefulk for shifts not to be jerky. Did you guys have same experience or know what might be the issue here? I know this is not a proper thread I should be asking this on but if you know the fix for it I would highly apprechiate it.

prolecs

Do you mean the engine maintains the revs when you take your foot off the throttle when you change gears?

sinisa97

Lets say i'm in second gear at 2200 rpm and want to change to 3rd, I press the clutch and let off accelerator pedal but it seems that there is a bit delay from the moment i depress throttle pedal to engine actually responding, like 0.3 second delay or so. And also seems like engine is more responsive over 3000rpm

sinisa97

And yes you could say engine maintains revs when you depress the throttle for like half a secound or so, but it' really really annoying, it makes my shifts really jerky unless Im very carefull at releasing my clutch pedal.

Last edited:

prolecs

Hopefully someone can assist. I have a similar problem with my Z20LEH engine, but more noticeable than yours in that it maintains for a few seconds. I notice it most pulling up at traffic lights. Strangely it returns to idle more quickly if the A/C is on and loading the engine. I have cleaned the throttle body, checked vacuum lines for air leaks but no luck. Suggest you do the same though.

corsaZ22se

Things to check for poor throttle response like you describe are, the throttle, is it clean both sides? earth wires to engine, body and ecu, and power supply, are the relays pins and fuse pins clean?