Z22yh advice

Zxr33

Afternoon, would like a bit of advice please!
I've just put new timing chains and balance chains , after top end rebuild! Cleaned up valves! New seals head gasket! Ect! After putting it back together and cranking it over it seemed to lack compression! Re checked timing again! Crank by hand seems to have compression! But on the key again lacks compression! Did a compression check and only giving 10psi on all cylinders! My question is , if I've got the balance timing sequence the wrong way round would this have an impact on the timing!? Or not!?
I bought the car as non runner with suspect chain problem although no chain had snapped or was there any damage to the valves! Changed them both anyway just as a pre caution! I've done a few timing chains and heads before but not balance chain so just wondered if that could be the cause!? Although I did follow the Gide to balance chains!
So if anyone has any thoughts on this would be good to hear them! Rob!

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the balancer chain is timed to the crank but has no affect on the main chains timing
my 1st guess would be the timing is out on the main chain

did you do a wet test?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Evening Vocky! Yes I did! Seems strange that all cylinders are 10psi!
was it any better with a wet test ? the lowest ive seen was 100psi dry
but gave 220psi wet i put that down to it being stood for 3 months with no oil and the plugs out on the engine i was working on

its ether the timing is way out or the valves are bent i cant think of another way for it to be so low other than holes in each piston or the rings aint sealing

Sorry evo! Eerrrrr :( sorry mate!!!
you can edit your post :)

Zxr33

Although the timing all lines up on the sprocket end is it possible to get the timing out as sprockets locaters are off set!?

Zxr33

Car has only done 56 thou full history! No visible damage I can see to the pistons! Wet or dry still only 10psi

Zxr33

When head was off and cleaned all valves were removed and checked and cleaned new stem seals! All valves were good! Not bent and seated correctly!

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
somthings not right for it to only be making 10psi

with the crank at tdc (mark on the pulley to the line on the oil pump case)
the cam lobes on #4 cylinder gearbox end should be at 10 and 2
exhaust @ 2 and inlet at 10
DSC07220.jpg

crank pulley has lines and a nick
WP_000175.jpg
the coloured chain links will not meet up again once the engine is turned
if the timing is right -cams and crank pulley in the right place then you will need to start looking at other things like the head/valves