z22se engine sezied,

robwillis69

I just bought a 2.2 sri cheap with a sezied engine it appears to have no oil in at all it looks underneath that it has come out of the driver's side of the sunmp crankshaft oil seals, the engine was a re con engine tohe previous owner paid 2k for it and 2months down the line this happened, i was think of dropping the sunframe and removing engine from front i have not atempted bottom end work on any engine before so this is learning for me, any tips or help explain mto me what i need to do what has possibly happended to cause the engine to seize etc, much info needed as poss to guide me through the repair..

thanks all..

furn

try this company for a remanufactered engine speak to a man called jody my engine cost 1400 quid and is really top notch.

they supplied me with an engine from a company called vega which is top quality company

http://www.enginemart.co.uk/

robwillis69

thanks i can get one with discount from vauxhalls, for £1400 also and they want the old engine, to be honest i would like to try and repair this one as a project..

vocky

Staff
you will be better off replacing the engine :(

the cylinders are lined and can only be rebored once, so you would have to have new liners fitted to the block, pistons, new crank, bearings, oil pump, bolts, gaskets etc

robwillis69

its a shame as the engine in the car is already a recon aprantley to months ago it looks so mint shame just to chuck it away,, you don't think its worth trying to fix the bottom end? i would just replace if it was a old lump but as it's recon and its cleaming silver engine seems a waste.

vocky

Staff
you need to strip it and find out whats wrong with it dunno..

then we can see if it's repairable cheers..

robwillis69

What i will do is in a few weeks i'll get it out and remove the head and post some pic's if that ok with you vocky maybe you can help me

Mark Dj

Former Staff
I bet you got it on Ebay the car? I am sure it was silver, I was watching one with a broken engine. Post pictures up as your are stripping it and we will help you in anyway :)

robwillis69

Z22SE said:
I bet you got it on Ebay the car? I am sure it was silver, I was watching one with a broken engine. Post pictures up as your are stripping it and we will help you in anyway :)

yes got it for 1k cash, its in good nick so as long as i can repair it it's a bargin..

robwillis69

Finally got some time to take a look at the car, the person i got it from was well conned as this engine was not a recon just been sprayed over to make it look recon, never mind back to teh damage i have managed to remove the sump as i noticed it was cracked and after removal i see why its seized look below...

ai104.photobucket.com_albums_m188_robwillis69_z22se_DSC00555.jpg

ai104.photobucket.com_albums_m188_robwillis69_z22se_DSC00556.jpg

Daz

Former Staff
Oh my good god......that looks like bits of piston,oil scraper ring and the gugeon pin...think the engines gonna be scrap from that

robwillis69

i reckon so was going to see what vocky recons as he rebuilds these engines as i been reading his threads..

I was going to either see if its worth rebuilding or get another whole engine and sell the head of this engine as long as the head is ok not took the head off yet..

so i am in the market for a z22se at moment unless i can get parts to rebuild perhaps..

vocky

Staff
time for a new bottom end and probably a head too judging by the conrod sitting in the sump :eek:

that's just scrap metal :(

robwillis69

So my best bet is to remove the head next and see if there's any damage,,
so i need to now be on the look out for a z22se if anyone got one for sale..

robwillis69

i will do in next few days fingers crossed its ok!!

one question i want to ask is in that pic you see the oil sensor plug on the front of the sump, there was nothing connected to it and no wire to fit on it, is this the correct sump for the vehicle if yes were the lead that plugs on it gone lol..

robwillis69

I thought it was wrong, its in the astra i bought it in this condition, the bloke i got it from paid 2k at a garge for what he thought was a recon engine but he got conned as they fitted this lump that's in it now and just resprayed everything silver to make it look new.....