Windows 7 pre-ordered

Matt

Administrator
I've pre-ordered a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium for when it's released on 22[sup]nd[/sup] October.

My Vista install is falling on it's arse, and the laptop is well over due a re-install, but my recovery disc doesn't work, so seems like a good time to upgrade.

dodger

Former Staff
a nice little purchase Matt, how much was the RAM as this can fluctuate (sp) from being dirt cheap to quite expensive

Matt

Administrator
Dirt cheap mate (IMO)

Last time I upgraded the RAM in a laptop, it was £90 for 512mb!

Attachments

• RAM.jpg
    RAM.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 239

MikeS

Former Staff
windows 7 is just like vista matt

suffers from compatibility problems

i am on xp and runs a dream with 2gb, quad core, raid 0

Matt

Administrator
MikeS said:
windows 7 is just like vista matt

suffers from compatibility problems

i am on xp and runs a dream with 2gb, quad core, raid 0

I've had no issues with compatibility on Vista, everything I need has worked fine. It needs a re-install, as over the past two years, I've installed and un-installed quite a bit of stuff, and the disc I have won't allow me to re-install, even though it's the OEM one which I made the day I bought the laptop (n)

All the reviews I've read say Windows 7 has all the things which made 2000 reliable, with the fancy looks of Vista

Matt

Administrator
I totally moved away from XP a couple of months ago. My desktop PC is running Ubuntu 9.04, and is really fast and stable for a 6 year old build, and the Laptop has always ran Vista, as that's what it came with.

MikeS

Former Staff
yeh but linux is free :)

define compatibility

you try playing intense fps games online for 5 hours to find drivers are causing instability on vista

sorry but i think vista is pig with lipstick like ME

it is for noobs to stop them destroying the OS

i personally feel vista was a marketing tool so ppl had to spend more on components i.e ram and hard drive space so it could run as quick as XP​

Matt

Administrator
MikeS said:
define compatibility

All my old applications worked, that's what I'd call compatibility. I didn't have to buy anything new to be able to use Vista.

MikeS said:
you try playing intense fps games online for 5 hours to find drivers are causing instability on vista

Again, that may be an issue for you, but I don't play any games on my Laptop, that is what the consoles are for down stairs.

My laptop is used for watching the odd film, editing photos with Photoshop, and browsing the web. It works. My Desktop is what I'm constantly breaking, I've installed more OS's on that thing than I care to think about. Every version of Fedora since Fedora 3, and every Ubuntu since 5.10, plus XP and Vista numerous times.