Welders

rik1083

Hi
I'm considering buying some welding equipment. I've never done any welding before, and I need to weld a wideband lambda boss on, so I think this is a pretty easy task so a good place to start.
What equipment should I buy?
I notice they say stuff like 130amp, 150amp etc.. does that mean me plug socket needs to be rated to this? :wtf:

vocky

Staff
you would be best to get a MIG welder, the higher the Amps the better (usually)

remember you need a 15Amp supply for bigger welders though, but you can just get away with a 13amp plug normally.

the 'art' of MIG welding is quite easy to learn, get some welding gloves and a head shield rather than a hand held shield, then you can hold the trigger with one hand and near the tip with the other, you will get a nice steady weld then :)

practice on some scrap metal, remember the surface needs to be clean / shiney, you can't weld rust or dirt !

rik1083

I cheaped out in the end after looking at my wallet.. I got an arc welder for £60
I can say that I already love welding. I have created a frankenstein barbeque grill with forks for handles (these were the only stainless things i could find to practice on :p) It's easier than I thought.. and probably helps a lot that I'm pretty good with a soldering iron already

The milltek comes tomorrow I hope I can weld the lambda boss on as good as i can weld forks to bbw grills :p

Daz

Former Staff
Arc might be atd extreme for exhaust work m8.....but as long as you can get the amps down low enuff it shud be ok

rik1083

4+ years later and I finally decided to buy a tig welder - R-Tech 161 AC/DC - cost a bit more than my original £60 machine :woot:

ai1301.photobucket.com_albums_ag117_rik1083_IMG_20130820_213557_zps786860ce.jpg

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i so want a tig welder but not at £1k lol
fixed my mig welder last week so time to set it up for stainless :) still prefer stick over the mig and have always loved gas welding its what i was taught on

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
I learnt to arc weld with stick when I was a kid, a skill which im glad to have now! would love a tig set and to be able to weld ally.
i do like welding :)
me dad bought some bottles and a torch home when i was 15 i put 2 new wheel arches on a sierra estate with oxy/acc :)

rik1083

first thing I need to do is practice, its way easier than stick welding but need to get some time logged, so I'm going to make a welding table out of mild steel as I feel it will help a lot to be sat down at a table rather than stood up at a bench

Then I want to do the following with it:
  • make a new header tank bracket for my vx as the original one is rusted to f**k (mild steel), maybe with an integrated cc rad header tank depending on how well it goes as I never worked out a good way to mount my ebay tank
  • A few months ago I made a new heater box out of 1mm aluminum (riveted) which works really well but isn't the most attractive thing so I will remake it out of 2mm welded alu
  • 3" exhaust is on my list, I was thinking of buying the tullet manifold but making my own cat section and adapting a standard back box into 3"
  • Got to plug a hole in my sc manifold from when I had a sensor mounted for megasquirt
  • Single pass charge cooler mod?
  • Maybe have a look at a new sc inlet manifold - there have been a few designs floating around for a while but nothing has surfaced
I think it will be really handy to have around, stick welder works ok for some things but most of what I want to do it's just not well suited, I've lost track of the times where I said "I could do that if I had a tig welder"

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
duel pass :) single pass is a right nightmare the alternator is right in the way for that :)
i always understood tig to be the same as oxy/acc with electric start the puddle then add filler if i ever get one thats how i will treat it when i adapt
i need to make a manifold but going with stainless in the mig welder :confused: