weird things are happeneing

bertone ben

it has not long been serviced by vauxhall (in june) and i have changed the plugs. but at low revs it seems to splutter like its missfiring then clears. no eml light comes on.

anyone got any ideas on how i can sort it???

Hareng

Is it intermittant or very sporadic? Once every month or so for about 10 to 15 secs each.
Mines a little lumpy and dependant upon the atmospherics, it has good days and bad like any other car.
Another thing if you hold it just under 4000rpm for a mile or more, does it clear or get better? I have had that also.

Maybe the problem some of us have had for some time and no one knows. Time will tell, i have a thought but untested as yet, more later.

bertone ben

the throttle body seems to be clean. it was at its worst last night. but it does it quite often. its bugging me. also my mum was following me the other month and aparently it stank of fuel although i couldnt smell it.

bertone ben

and i forgot to say that the idle is not smooth. genereally ok but every so often it seems to drop the revs very slighty and cause it to be lumpy for a second or two.

TimSri

I know this is stupid question but have you used the correct spark plugs? I am saying this because when i serviced by girlfriends polo i used the incorrect plugs causing it to run 'lumpy' on idle.

bobssy

My inlet manifold gasket went (as vocky said) and it ran lumpy. Try putting some washing up liquid oround the seals to see if it is leaking any air.

As it happened my inlet manifold had gone so had to replace the lot... :evil:

Hareng

May be coincidental i have smelt petrol at times took car to Hitech for something else, kid noticed straight away something was up with the fuelling.
What actually controls the fuelling and hows it work ECU?

Hareng

Had a niggly feeling whether lambda sensor or cat was to blame, chose cat as its needed anyway.
What i did notice the O2 (first), cat and lambda sensors inside exhaust downpipe were white over, cat partially blocked.
I am going to Northamptonshire tomorrow via Kettering. So far economy gone up as well as performance but tickover still varies, sometimes 950 or as low as 580 for about 10secs, then resorts to a lumpy 700/750 region and sounds as though its missing, still the same.
Sometimes it pinks.

Never had an EML.

Any way of checking lambda sensor and IAT?

Hareng

Too lean.

Could this be the answer to our misfire problems.

Today did about 14 mile dropped mrs off and smelt petrol.
In the past i have noticed as though a switch was flicked on, you get a surge of power suggesting something electrical. *Lambda, *IAT, and MAP worth checking out?
Car is economical but seemingly sluggish at the moment, suggesting timing not as it should be, IAT can alter this and have noticed pinking at times as well as a slight misfire yesterday at all revs. Seems like a lot of induction roar with a bit of misfire, then a delayed pickup below what it should be.

vocky

Staff
I had to replace the upper (mixture) lambda because I used wd40 on it to loosen the threads before swapping exhausts, this killed it :(

I have also killed the other sensor the same way too, the new rear lambda should arrive tomorrow :roll: