Vectra

Gazza

Former Staff
hi all

i need a new motor im looking at getting a vectra as i need a 4 door car.

was looking at the 1.9 cdti either 120 or 150

or a 2.2 sri vectra c model

anyone own any of the above if so what its like any problems with it etc ?

have a buget of 4k max

cheers

Matt

Administrator
1.9 CDTI can have a few problems. DMF is prone to failing, and so are the swirl flaps on the inlet manifold. EGR valve is also s**te on them

Daz

Former Staff
As matt has said above,,,,, DMF , swirl flaps(new manifold if they do), swirl flap motor, swirl flap linkage, egr valves for a pastime, .

Gazza

Former Staff
ahh right

is there a better engine to go for ?

whats the 2.2 petrol like and what engine is it ?

Gazza

Former Staff
have had alook and some nice looking low millage 2.2 sri about at good money does anyone on here have one ?
is it the z22se engine in it ? the ones im looking at are around 2003 to 2006

cheers

Matt

Administrator
I think they swapped to the Z22YH in 2004 on the Vectra C, so it could be either. Have a look on the back and it should say "direct" if it's the newer Z22YH engine.

jbaggaley

I went for a 120bhp 8v cdti it's been fantastic I do over service it as when I got it, it had 56k on clock. It's never missed a beat really very very economical and swift and refined when required. I do tow a caravan with mine and it's been a good tow car. Only think that started to go was the turbo due to mileage but wad and easy DIY swap and refurb at 300 Inc new hoses and service items. There's no swirl flaps on 120 8v and the egr is less prone to failing.

However and there's always a however and that is I have a z22se cabriolet with a heavy dose of mods and that takes all that is thrown at it. Extremely durable and great to drive.

rushy

Yea, the 120 is the more reliable of the 2 CDTi's. Don't get a 2.0 or 2.2 DTi though, there the old gen oil burners. My 53 plate 2.2 is the last of the Z22SE's and as said the went to direct injection after that. The Z22YH suffers from tensioner failure, HP pump failures and occasional inlet manifold failure also but the big one is the HP pump on the rail. If it has a Siemens pumps then it WILL fail, if its a continental one then there fine.

The one to get would be the Z20NET, the 2 litre petrol turbo, they only develop 175 stock but 200 ish can be gained from just map, and the MPG is about on a par for the Z22SE in the Vec C. The NET is pretty much uber reliable.

The 3.2 V6 GSi/Ellite could also be one to look at, and belive it or not the 2.8 V6 turbo (de tunned VXR) in the facelift Signums can be had a a very good price now. The Guys running these 2.8's are getting better MPG than my 2.2 :wtf:

If you get knocking on a test drive, the main problem is the drop links, easy and cheap to fix, there are other little minor things but the drop links always seam to be the first to go.

Expect to pay a premium for a CDTi over the petrols as well, so it might be worth factoring that into your total yearly spend, Car, fuel resale and so on.

HTH

Steve :)

Gazza

Former Staff
thanks for the replys

i think im going to go for a 2.2 sri model

just a quick question how would i tell if it has a z22se or a z22yh engine is there a big difference in looks ?

cheers

rushy

Single exhaust on the SE and Twin on the YH. The YH also says Direct on the rear, other than that there exactly the same to look at. The SE's will have slightly better spec as they started dropping bits on SRi's after 04.

Daz

Former Staff
You can block it off. But it will throw a insufficent flow code up. Or you can use a plate with a few holes in which may or may not throw up a code.

Matt

Administrator
Daz said:
You can block it off. But it will throw a insufficent flow code up. Or you can use a plate with a few holes in which may or may not throw up a code.
Alpha sell a specific gasket for the Z19DTH with fewer holes in it to allow just the correct amount of gases back in. EGR Valve is easy to clean on them, but it's the s**te being put back into the inlet manifold that causes issues with the swirl flap rod.

Gazza

Former Staff
Yea decided on a 2.2 sri matt will be hoping to get a z22se engine one but still on the look out

rushy

Good late SE's with average miles are worth around £1800-£2000 according to Parkers . Early Directs still have the same 5 speed F23 box but then swapped to the 6 speed option. Personally I'd still opt for the SE over the direct if your looking at 2 similar aged and mileage cars, the Direct has the same problems as the late SE's but has the added extras of the HP pump and inlet manifold to fail. Thats just my opinion from posting over on Vectra-C, but I honestly believe the SE is a safer option even though it returns slightly less power and less MPG.

Gazza

Former Staff
has anyone ever owned a 2.2 auto ? or know of any major down sides on the auto 2.2 sri ?
have been offered one cheap with 67k full history on a 54 plate ?

thanks

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Daft question coming up.....

Are the EGR, swirl flap, DMF and particulate filter issues just in the Vectra or is this common across the Astra and Zafira?