Z22SE Vectra sri none starter

20vt

I have an 2.2 vectra Sri, which is a none starter.

Drove home from work, no problems. Next day came to start the car and nothing, just a click sound.

I first thought it was a timing chain failure. Removed rocker cover and timing chain is fine, isn't snapped.
I did notice a little slack[is this normal] but when I turned the crank, the chain was nice and tight.

I've checked coil packs etc, but all are working.

Fitted a new battery

Tried bump starting today, nothing.

Checked fuses, all are ok

Unsure what to check next

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
starter motor jammed up?

there will be a small amount of slack in the chain not much ,when cranking it will go taught

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
urban myth says hit it with a hammer but ive never had one go so cant say if that works or not
its only 2 bolts that hold it on and 2 wires if thats the issue

Dave Gilbert

Remove the starter n test if it spins up

Hitting it with a hammer does work (I have done this many many times) but doesnt last.

If it does spin up n pop out, it might be worth stripping down cleaning out, I have save 3 starter motors this year for friends and family doing this.

20vt

Thanks for the replies.

Managed to remove the starter motor, I tested it, it pops out but doesn't spin.

Even though it doesn't spin, shouldn't the car still start with a bump?

Dave Gilbert

It should. Id google how to test a starter motor.(sorry if you know how)

Cos you have to bridge 2 bolts to get it to spin.

But it should bump easy enough. As said above try it in reverse.

Dave Gilbert

So its not siezed (the engine) you can turn it over.
When you first turn the ignition can you hear the fuel pump buzzing?

Without the starter motor you cant really check for a spark. Or I dont really know a way.

20vt

i've turned the engine over manually with a spanner.

Fuel pump buzzes when ignition is turned on.

Checked online and have read that even with a bad starter motor the car should still start with a bump.

Dave Gilbert

I know it soynds daft but you have got fuel I the car?

You should be timed up right
You should have fuel if theres any in it and its buzzing
So theres only 2 things to check as far as mechanicals are concerned thats a spark and compression.
But for both of them you need to be able to turn the engine over quickly.
So next step is get that starter motor working.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
my car had been stood for 8months with all the attempts with flat batteries and trying to bump start it i was unsuccessful had to call out the AA as i had run out of drive to push it down turns out me trying 4 batteries with jump leads messed the immobiliser up and he had to do so trick of the trade to get it working he did

IDI AMIN

Sounds like a problem with your battery or a connection to the battery although you say you have a brand new battery maybe you drained it trying to start car
Are terminals clean ?

20vt

I've cleaned the terminals, cleaned the earth wires. [Used sandpaper]

I've tried 2 batteries. 1 is brand new, and the other was from my mates car, [12 plate audi S3]

Still doesn't start.

Bump starting does nothing, in reverse or forward.

Dave Gilbert

It should bump if u have spark, compression and fuel.
Only thing I can think of is bridge the starter motor with a screwdriver (abit crude but should make the starter motor engage and spin up). I think there should be a relay for the starter motor maybe thats gone, is the starter motor clicking or is it a relay clicking.