Vectra B 2.2 petrol: Water in plug recess

01VECCYSRI

:problem: Ok not happy, bought this on grounds that there was no major problem, first day I drive it I notice a little hesitation and lumpy idle so I figure could be EGR valve, having spent up buying it I thought I'd leave it a week or so till I can afford diagnostics etc, in the mean time I clean the EGR valve, looked good, decided to replace plugs, all good till I got to number 4 and noticed it was wet, dried it up and put it back in and as soon as I tightened it, not too much btw, water flooded the plug recess, now I know what the poor idling etc was. Looks like i've been sold a bad motor, he's had it himself since October 11, surely he'd have noticed. I got a feeling head is cracked, anyone know what the cost might be?

Any help welcome, Cheers.

MikeS

Former Staff
sounds like you got a cracked head

cost of the z22se has come down quite a bit the last few years m8 so finding a head should only cost your around 100 - refurb around 250

gaskets and bolts another 70 quid - chains another 120-130 + labour of a few hundred quid

JohnnyN

Former Staff
If the head is coming off then you might as well replace the chain if you don't know when it was last done or even done at all. All the bolts will need replacing as they are stretch bolts that are torqued up and only to be used once.

01VECCYSRI

Ok Johnny thanks, just getting keyed up on this 2.2 engine, thanks for the info, shame it has to have a problem like this before i've had chance to enjoy it though.
Guess it's a good job I really like the car, my wallet is quivering again.

01VECCYSRI

I tried some CarGo Seal up, without expecting much of a result, didn't have much to lose I guess, followed instructions to the letter and presto! Two days later the car is running smooth, with regained power, also had a fault with IAT, wires were off, soldered on some new ones and engine light switched itself off after a run. Touch wood all has been well so far. :D

:problem: Ok not happy, bought this on grounds that there was no major problem, first day I drive it I notice a little hesitation and lumpy idle so I figure could be EGR valve, having spent up buying it I thought I'd leave it a week or so till I can afford diagnostics etc, in the mean time I clean the EGR valve, looked good, decided to replace plugs, all good till I got to number 4 and noticed it was wet, dried it up and put it back in and as soon as I tightened it, not too much btw, water flooded the plug recess, now I know what the poor idling etc was. Looks like i've been sold a bad motor, he's had it himself since October 11, surely he'd have noticed. I got a feeling head is cracked, anyone know what the cost might be?

Any help welcome, Cheers.

new here but would try and help as the same problem has occured on my astra. plug number 4 aswell. the reason being is your plugs being over tightened at some time in the past, this splits the water seal that the plug sits flush to. quick fix and has been working for over two moths now is K-SEAL. cost about a tenna but it works. do exactly as it says on the bottle and give it a few days till you check the plug well, might have water in again so dry this out and you should have job done. dont know how long it holds for like but will give you some time to finally enjoy your car and a little extra to save up as nothing is cheap for this engine.

hope this was of assistance

scott

01VECCYSRI

Really appreciate that Scott, but you missed my last post a little further up mate, I used CarGo Sealup, cost me 15 quid for a bottle, couple days later car was fine and is running spot on now.
Thanks again.

well same theory. im onto fixing the cracked manifold now. finally after three months of blowing maybe more. glad you got a fix just read post last night and knew exactly what the feeling was. no problem anyway cheers for reply

scott

SteveW

I've just found this thread while searching for the exact same problem!

I gave my Vectra a service at the weekend and when I changed the number four plug I had exactly the same happen to me as happened to you - water flooded the plug recess and basically kept pouring out until (I guess) the pressure had gone from the cooling system! I didn't even tighten the plug too much (I never have done that ever since I snapped one off in my first cortina back in 1989 lol).

What I'd like to know if possible is, how is the CarGo Seal Up holding up? Has it still solved the problem? I think I need to give something like that a try before I take it to a mechanic to have the head replaced - the value of the car now (51 plate Vectra SRi 150 estate with 129k miles) it's going to be hard justifying spending that sort of money on it if it needs major work :(

vocky

Staff
it's certainly worth trying some rad seal before you spend probably more than the cars worth on repairs :(