*urgent* Hydraulic lifters *urgent*

AnGarrek

I've now removed the 1st lifter in order to fit the new cams, and my new lifters are different ????

I have 16 lifters pt number 9194698 from Autovaux, which are supposed to be for the z22se, but as you can see in the pics,
the old lifters have a rounded top, and the new ones aren't so rounded, also the oil hole in the new lifters is slightly lower than the originals, and the chamfer on the bottom is a little larger ?

Picture205.jpg

Picture218.jpg

Are these a newer design, or do I somehow have the wrong lifters ?

Are they safe to use ???

AnGarrek

They seem to sit ok, but I still have the rocker cover and a few bits to put back before I fire it up, so I'm not sure if they're going to work ok, or no.

TBH the old ones were completelt stuck solid, so if these don't work, I'll need some from somewhere.

Fingers crossed !

vocky

Staff
'suck it and see'

hopefully they will be ok, the ones I bought from autovaux were made in Germany and looked like the ones removed, but autovaux don't supply genuine followers - they are pattern part jobbies

AnGarrek

OK, it's up and running, started 1st time :D

On tickover it sounds great, but as the revs rises the rockers begin to tap.

I've given it 20 minutes @ 2000 rpm to bed in the Piper cams, so I would assume the lifters are well and truly pumped up by now, but, and I'm not too sure if this has any bearing, it's parked on the driveway with the nose of the car looking up hill ?

TBH, I'm a little disappointed as the noise of the chains has been replaced by the noise of the rockers :(

If the lifters are at fault ??? is there somewhere other than main dealer I can source some, I think I've read somewhere the genuine ones are silly £££

vocky

Staff
ask autovaux to replace them, e-mail them a pic, they're wrong ?

send them back once you have received the new ones, changing them twice isn't funny !

exmantaa

I assume these piper cams are regrinds with a smaller base circle?
Have heard on an US ecotec forum that it took "several week" for the lifters to quit down after installing a reprofiled cam...
I also assumed that the hydro adjusters would pump up in several (tens) minutes and quit down. But this is an ecotec, so always a bit different. notsure.gif

(Did you try cleaning your old lifters with a solvent? Worked a tread with my old XE lifters.)

AnGarrek

vocky said:
ask autovaux to replace them, e-mail them a pic, they're wrong ?

send them back once you have received the new ones, changing them twice isn't funny !

I spoke to Mark @ Autovaux this morning and I've emailed him the 2 pics of the lifters.

He was aware that Vauxhall have a new part number for the lifters, and he said the Autovaux buy their lifters from the OE manufacturer, so there shouldn't be a difference, but he can see there's a problem from my photos.
He's ordered another set of lifters, and can "obtain" a genuine lifter from Vauxhall tomorrow and will compare them when the other set arrives, and we'll go from there.

I'll keep you informed !

PS, although the lifters are a slightly noisy, my car sounds awesome, I'd wouldn't think that the cams would make so much difference :D
My Magnex cat-back system has come alive, and has a deeper tone, and a lovely lumpy burble.

My neighbour heard me come home last night, and thought it was his brother-in-law (who drives V8 Range Rover) whoo hoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edbutler

When i had Piper cams installed, my (original) lifters were very noisy for about 500 miles... This was probably due to me grannying it everywhere as my Balancer shaft chain was also not tensioned properly.

All i did was get the chain tensioner re-fitted and took the car out for the ragging of its life - soon shut the followers up :D I think with re-ground Camshafts, they do something 'clever' which means that the followers need pumping up much more??

Mine also needs at least 50% oil on the dipstick otherwise you get a slight cam follower rattle at part throttle @ low RPM. I always get some noise at startup also, but nothing to worry about :)

AnGarrek

I spoke to Mark from Autovaux this afternoon.

A new set of followers has arrived from their suppliers, and he also has a comparison lifter from Vauxhall.

He's confirmed that the 1st set supplied are incorrect, he can't explain why as the part numbers are correct, and the suppliers are unsure why this has happened too, but a new (correct) set of lifters are winging their way to me for tomorrow.

Once swapped, I will return the faulty set, and Autovaux will refund all my postage costs.

TBH. it's a pain having to strip to cams out again to swap the lifters, but I can't fault Autovaux in the slightest, they've been great even though it's a problem beyond their control.

AnGarrek

As promised, 16 OE spec lifters delivered this morning !

Picture223.jpg

These are identical to my old ones (except these aren't stuck solid) so guess what Saturdays job is :roll:

I'm getting quite a dab hand at the chain/cams removal/replacement !!

alanoo

Can someone measure me the precise diameter of the body of the lifter please ?
(and of the "ball" end too if possible)

We have to make a special solid one to adjust precisely the cam timing :D