Unusual use for an electric toothbrush (don't tell the wife)

Bungle

On Saturday morning, I decided to have a go at some minor stone chips on my paintwork. Fortunately the primer was still intact, so no deep prep was required.

Using the end of a cocktail stick, I put some colour in, and after that had dried, I put on a thin layer of clear laquer. I use single part two pack Autoclear 496 aerosol (don't understand how it works as a 2 pack, but it does). I didn't use it as a spray, just squirted some laquer into the aerosol cap and again used a cocktail stick. And every half hour or so, on went some more clear until the surface of the "blob" was a tiny bit higher than the surrounding paintwork and just overlapping it.
As the sun was on the car all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning, today the laquer was hard enough to finish it.

That's when the toothbrush comes into play. Get an old brush head and cut off the bristles. Attach a few layers of double sided tape and glue on a tiny circle of 800 grade paper wetted with soapy water and very, very, very gently flatten the blob keeping the paper wet until the surface is just flush. Then work through 1200 and 1600 grade paper - just a few seconds with each.

Then a final finish with my favourite scratch remover, Kratzer Ex no.1 then no.2, is all that is required.

Bungle

JohnnyN

Former Staff
That sounds a good process. Pity you didn't take some pictures to show the work.

;)