2.4 Inlet The 2.4l Throttle Body thread

Lightning Coupé

Thought it would be a good Idea to start a new thread regarding the 2.4l TB seeing as all the info regarding the issues and possible solutions to this mod is a little scattered and hard to find in the previous and sometimes off topic posts.

So to recap, some of us have bought the TB off a 2.4l chevy cobalt to sit nicley on our 2.4l intake manifolds being that there 65mm diameter instead of the standard 58mm diameter.

Having established the 68m TB from the chevy cobalt ss worked fine on our uk version of the z22se engine it was a fair assumption that so to would the 65mm TB from the 2.4l engine but with the added advantage that it would bolt directly on with no adaptor plate or wireing loom alterations.

Assumption being the mother of all, we have since learnt that the 2.4l TB isnt quite as bolt on as first hoped and that it has a small teething problem. This being that it throws up an ecu fault p1514.

This appears to be a problem between the reported throttle position and the manifold absolute pressure sensor. As mark kindly explained, there would appear to be a table within the ecu program that compares the two and ensures that the manifold pressure is within +/-30kpa of what it should be at any given throttle position or engine load?

We know its not directly due to the size of the TB as Ffoeg sucsessfully ran the 2.0SC 68mm TB on a virtually standard engine with no problem.

Vocky has measured the potentiometer feedback from the 2.4l TB and compared it to the 68mm SS TB and the standard TB and noted that the feedback is a quite different. Ill have to look at the figures again and see if the full scale deflection is similar between each TB and if so a few simple resistors may help?

Meanwhile, Johnnys car is in with courtneys and they have found the same problem as the rest of us and as far as im aware they have EDS looking into it. Any more info Johnny?

It was first thought that perhaps you needed quite extensive engine work such as cams, manifolds and porting for the 2.4l TB to work due to the larger size and increased air flow, but again, as ffoeg ran the 68mm tb with just cams and no faults, I think we can put that theory to bed. I have a good cat back system and piper cams and a dbilas flowmaster and I still get p1514.

Last time I tryed the TB on at MPG, we monitored the throttle position feedback vie the tech2 and it all looked fine and what was intresting is that there is actually a calibration programe for the TB. We carried that out, which is mostly automated, but it made no difference. You can rev the engine up and down ok in neutral but as soon as you try to drive it.....p1514 lol. :roll:

Please add your ideas and findings to this thread as I think it will come in quite usefull to finding a solution. notsure.gif

Lightning Coupé

vocky said:
still working on a solution to the 2.4 tb :)

the resistance is different on each tb, so might be possible to add some resistors to compensate dunno..

'open + closed' throttle positions
pin numbers on tb plug

A-G = add none
2.0- 4.45 + 2.67 (reversed)
2.2- 4.12 + 2.23
2.4- 3.82 + 1.91

A-C = add 360 ohms to wire C
2.0- 1.96 + 3.71 (reversed)
2.2- 3.20 + 5.10
2.4- 2.64 + 4.55

D-H = add none
2.0- 2.67 + 1.51 (reversed)
2.2- 2.36 + 1.15
2.4- 2.19 + 0.98

D-B = add 240 ohms to wire B
2.0- 1.04 + 2.21 (reversed)
2.2- 1.77 + 2.97
2.4- 1.44 + 2.66

vocky

Staff
I agree, it should be a plug and play but isn't :?

the main difference between the three tb's is the resistance between the potentiometers inside the tb.

to mimic the 2.2 it is worth trying some resistors as stated above

I don't have a 2.4 tb to test, but I know the 2.0sc tb works fine so hopefully the 2.4 tb will to dunno..

Karlosfandango

With a bit of luck I'll have mine up and running tomorrow, just got to sourcr the new valve for the vacuum pipe. My engine is at stage 3 level from TMS, so if it causes a fault in the ecu the whole theory of ported/cams etc might be out the window.

If someone can give me some simple instruction of what to alter and where to put things I'd have a try at whacking some resistors in.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
I haven't been in contact with Jon since he's been back, hopefully I might catch up with him tomorrow to see if he's any further ahead with the problem.

:?

alanoo

Go standalone ! :D

Anyway, if it is ONLY the resistance problem; why does Mark keep getting the same P1514 with his ported 2.2 TB ?

exmantaa

I did not look into the construction of the TB, but is it not possible to swap the potentiometer part over from a 2,2 to a 2,4 TB??

Just a thought...

Edit:
See the pics here: https://z22se.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5146
Seems that opening the casing is the difficult part, but when the pot is swapped some epoxy can fix/seal the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karlosfandango

It appears that my car doesn't like the 2.4 tb either :( just took it up the road and as soon as it went above about 3k rpm, the engine light came on and it wouldn't rev. Luckily I managed to coast to a quiet spot and restart it. Drove very conservatively but once again it had a hissy as soon as it went above 3k. I've just changed the tb over so once the ecu has cleared I'll be out for another try.

markv

Haven't tried changing anything yet. But I did do a test with the ECU to see if there really might be a positioning problem. But I can't find anything. If I check the commanded and sensed values for both throttlebodies they all look fine.

I really stand by my first diagnosis that this is a problem due to the failsafe mechanism in the ECU that is geared for the flow of a standard 2.2 TB. And a well ported or 2.4 TB just gives problems.

So you can see the positioning for yourself:

2.4 throttlebody:

[media=youtube]0TDMo-AQA44[/media]

2.2 (ported) throttlebody:

[media=youtube]1ev29be0Vyk[/media]

The main difference I see is the larger opening the 2.4 TB gives, but both reach their maximum, it is just a TB design point.

Mark

alanoo

Hum yes, so it's not only the increased diameter that gives the improved flow but the larger opening too.

That gives a huge difference in flow

Alessio

Lightning Coupé said:
Intresting but it still dosent explain why Ffoeg had no problems with the even bigger 68mm TB on his Astra.
Yes, I know another guy in Italy that used a 68mm (2.0) TB on a z22se without problems (apart from the rewiring)...

markv

Hmm, so again with the SC throttle body. Interesting. Do you have any other changes on you engine, or only different manifold and TB?

Thanks,

Mark

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Alessio said:
Lightning Coupé said:
Intresting but it still dosent explain why Ffoeg had no problems with the even bigger 68mm TB on his Astra.
Yes, I know another guy in Italy that used a 68mm (2.0) TB on a z22se without problems (apart from the rewiring)...

Same as Vocky too!

Alessio

markv said:
Hmm, so again with the SC throttle body. Interesting. Do you have any other changes on you engine, or only different manifold and TB?
The engine is not mine, but of cicastol (member of this forum and also of vx220.co.uk forum). He has a lot of modifications (dbilas inlet manifold, cams, exhaust etc.)... Try to contact him via PM!