Supercharger vs Turbo torque

JohnnyN

Former Staff
After seeing a few Stage 2 supercharged dyno results now, i've noticed that the torque is low in comparison to an engine fitted with a turbo. Pressures are also higher with a turbo. Why is this?

notsure.gif

winstar

JohnnyN said:
After seeing a few Stage 2 supercharged dyno results now, i've noticed that the torque is low in comparison to an engine fitted with a turbo. Pressures are also higher with a turbo. Why is this?

notsure.gif

I think you've just answed your own question, torque is related to the pressure caused by the combusion, although you also have the parasitic loss of the SC in there as well

The turbos can run higher prssures as a centrifugal compressor is more efficient than an positive displacement compressor, which means that at the same boost the charge is cooler there for will not suffer detination, IIRC the courtenay map also doesn't read temp so has to be mapped 'safe'.

timmee

did you also notice that the sc seems to hold the torque for longer it might not make as much as the turbo does at peak torque but it sure does seem to hold the torque for alot of the rev range where as the turbo one always drops off after it has hit it's peak you know same as you do after shoting your load :LOL:

timmee

to prove my point here's mark dyno run stage 2 sc

awww.courtenaysport.co.uk_images_M22APW_Torque_w.jpg

and heres a turbo graph stage 2 astra like what matt needs :LOL:

awww.courtenaysport.co.uk_images_Stg2.jpg

Matt

Administrator
Isn't this why the VX220 really benefits from the supercharger, as opposed to the turbo application? The predictable nice and flat torque curve

timmee

speaking about sacks my bag was swollen like a beach ball i made the mistake off sitting down wrongly whilst squeezing my amble frame into a mx5 yesterday and squashed my right testie and the fu cker still hurts today :oops:

but on a good side made the old bollo ck bag look mightly impressive for the night (y)

Daz

Former Staff
JohnnyN said:
Daz said:
timmee said:
d you know same as you do after shooting your load :LOL:

John aint done that for so long that he wudnt have a clue....

Anyway, Aly told me that you've healed over and your ball bag has turned to concrete!

rofl..

Dam i wish she's stop telling u the truth,,, :upyours: