Stage 1

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Here I am doing the cam chain part by part. So far I am taking all the wiring and brackets off from the top end, so I can remove the top cover. So far so good (I think lol). This is my first time EVER doing anything to an engine, so I will be asking for some help from time to time "Cough, Neil". I am not sure if I need to remove the thing thats at the right hand side of the top cover notsure.gif . Do the spark plugs have to come out? Well I am going to plod along some more......

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_002_5.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_004_5.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_003_2.jpg

Mark Dj

Former Staff
This is what I plan to get for it:

Timing chain kit
Balance chain kit
Gaskets

Tools:
Torque wrench
sockets
spanners
Anything else?

Do I need to lift or drop the engine to access parts? Cheers

rushy

Your a braver man than I LOL. I think there's a link to the VX220 site with a complete How 2 mate.

Mark Dj

Former Staff
We should have a how to on here also. The rain has stopped me yet again for going any further. I want to learn how to do the chain so I can do my girlfriends new car when she get another 2.2 :)

Mark Dj

Former Staff
True lol. I would like to give the full engine area a good clean. I want to get that top end off so I take take a look inside lol

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Well I managed to get the top end removed for a little look inside. As you can see I have a creamy area you put the oil into on the lid. Now how do I get to that oil jet, I want to see if it's the old one or not :roll: :

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_005_6.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_006_4.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_007_6.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_008_4.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_009_3.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_011_3.jpg

vocky

Staff
that is not a blown head gasket, it looks like the oil filler cap has been off for a while, the corrosion of the cam lobes proves it's been damp for a while :roll:

plus there is no 'mayonaise' anywhere else, it would be everywhere

Mark Dj

Former Staff
It's probably been standing for a little while before I bought it. So I have nothing to worry about with the cream? Whats the best way to get to the oil jet next :). It's looks a little tight down that side but I will take on the next mission lol

Mark Dj

Former Staff
vocky said:
plus there is no 'mayonaise' anywhere else, it would be everywhere

It's at the bottom of the dip stick Neil. I removed the stick to check the oil level and it was white down the bottom. I will see if I can get a picture.

vocky

Staff
just needs the damp oil flushing out

the oil jet is behind the lower timing chain cover, you need to remove this to replace the leaking crank oil seal anyway

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Is that easy enough to get to? I will take it off then remove the oil jet, then put the cover back on til I get the new kit. Cheers Neil

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Is it best to remove my engine mount? It's in the way a bit. I will probably have to jack the engine up some place, any clues on what part to put my jack onto? I don't want to damage anything. Cheers

Well I have put a block of wood under the sump and jacked the car up to remove the mount. I have removed the main mount but the bit on the engine (part of the mount) is a pain, I am stuck on the 3rd bolt near to the bottom back corner. I will get to it some how...

vocky

Staff
you need to loosen the crank bolt before removing the mount

it's 21mm and bloody tight, I use a long bar and gently apply more and more pressure until it comes loose

also worth putting the car in gear and have someone put their foot on the brake

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Well I have been beat, I don't have a 21mm spanner just a socket and it's not moving at all with all the strenth I have in me lol. Looks like I will be off to buy a 21mm spanner tomorrow, the longest one I can find.

Daz

Former Staff
Its the same as normal mark....but it is very very tight.....after you have slackened it off you will need to remove the aux belt and tensioner,thenremove the engine mouting and bracket on the engine,then remove the bolts holding the front cover on ,theres around 8-10 with 10mm heads and you need to remove the one with a 13mm head also(holds the waterppump in place) too...its around 4" long and can be afiddle to get out.....

After youve done that you can lever the front cover off....put summat underneath the car tho as bit of oil will seap out....

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Cheers Daz. I have given up for tonight as I need that 21mm spanner lol. Then I will be able to get a bar onto it. You know when you fit that bolt back on again, how tight does it have to go lol, it must have to go on pretty tight again. I would probably struggle to get a torque wrench onto it.

Daz

Former Staff
U shud be able to get a torque wrench on with short extension mark......dont forget to use a new bolt too.....