Snapped chain...

kmbrad

So moving on to the balance chain. I'm getting the kit Monday. I want to get that done before the head comes back so it's one more job out of the way.

Going through the Haynes manual (which has been well worth the £20 so far) I'm reading up on how to change it. I can't get my head around the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket, inlet sprocket and exhaust sprockets. According to the book, on refitting, they line up with the two silver and one bronze link on the new chain.

The balance chain is running free although with some slack in it. But I'm a tooth missing on the crankshaft sprocket, and when I line the exhaust sprocket up in its sort of 7 o'clock position, both other sprockets are out. I assume they all run equal to each other, ie. they all run at the same ratio, or will the crank have to turn lots of time before all the markings line up as the book shows?

What I don't want to do is take the chain off, move the sprockets to their position as the book says, then fit the chain so the coloured links line up, if the sprockets could be a whole revolution out?

To summarise, I think the balance chain may have jumped. :?:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

kmbrad

Just read through MarkDj's thread when timing up. What a godsend.

Will time crank up at TDC (1 & 4) then line both inlet and exhaust balance cams as the picture shows. Will then fit new chain.

I will check the timing marks again before I take the old chain off as I'm sure its jumped.

BURT150

That pic looks nasty with all the bits in, Its a good job you empty'd the sump then!

If you follow that thread you wont go wrong (y)

Did you have the head off to check the damage?

vocky

Staff
the sump on the z22se engine uses sealant not a gasket, make sure you clean both surfaces before using some fresh sealant

kmbrad

Hi Burt. The head is away being reconditioned. Should get it back within a few days. It had done some inlet valves i think. Will get the full report on Tuesday.

Vocky - I've been to Tesco and bought some scourers to buff the surfaces.

BURT150

Thats good then be back on the road before you know it!

I had to take the sump off an astravan i had and that relyed in gasket sealer, Its a bit worrying but they never leak (y)

kmbrad

Was just wondering whether to change the water pump whilst the engine is being rebuilt? Or are they fairly reliable?

Depending on price, don't mind changing it whilst the balance chain is off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

BURT150

There prity relyable so i wouldn't worry and if you ever need to change it after theres a tool you can use to fit one without taking the chain off (y)

kmbrad

Another damaged bolt on the balance chain guide rail and another tooth missing from the crank sprocket.

Attachments

• DSC01400.JPG
    DSC01400.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 740

kmbrad

Hi Matt

Yeah. Thats all the bad news over now (well, until I hear how my head is doing).

Sump went back on today and chains come tomorrow.

Spoke to a guy up the road who breaks Vauxhalls. Says he has a Vectra SRi (150) coming next week. Thats all I know, but hoping the exhaust manifolds are the same.

kmbrad

Both chain kits came yesterday. I paid £230 including postage for the pair (genuine parts). That saved me £40 from my local dealer.

Fitted the balance chain yesterday.

Thats it now. Can't do anything else until my head comes back.

Attachments

• chain.JPG
    chain.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 708

daaaaavek

yikes .. the oils you UK guys use sure do leave a lot of brown stain all over the engine.

the inside of my engine looks almost pristine ..
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13180

glad to hear/see that things are progressing well with the replacement of the timing chain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daz

Former Staff
The water pump is an arse to replace in my opinion....lol......With the sump as long as you let the sealnt go off for at least 24hrs b4 adding oil to the engine you shudnt expriance any leaks....

Take a look at this thread.....
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9322

Was a chain i did a few years back....No tensioner left at all on the timing chain,and he actually drove it too me to fix...

Last edited by a moderator:

kmbrad

Daveeeeek

Your block looks like new. You sure you've not been polishing at the weekend? :wave:

Daz

I'm leaving the pump alone. Especially if you can do it without taking the chain off at a later date. The sump is well sealed and still dry. Won't put the oil in until the weekend.

Can anyone help me with the exhaust manifold? Mine is cracked, so I'm replacing it. My part number is 24438032, but I've seen one for sale with the number 24438033 from a Vectra? They should be the same manifold as it's off a Z22se, but why a different part number?

Thank you.

daaaaavek

Nope .. that's the first time the timing cover has been off since the engine left the factory. It's just ticked over 71,000 miles.