Rattle on start up??

Matt

Administrator
Yikes! :eek:

That was very lucky then that nothing worse happened, and that is kept the timing lined up and didn't jump any teeth etc.

Burnzi

I had a quick look at the guides all were fine no wear i didint check the timing marks to see if its a tooth out but its not driving any different so other than luck i dont no how i havint wrecked the engine

Burnzi

I now dont have to keep my fingers crossed each time i turn the key thinking will this rattle be its last haha

Burnzi

Rattles back with avengeance cud do with some help it starts fine runs for about 5 mins then it starts rattles at tick and while you drive untill the revs go above 3500 rpm and the rattle goes away but returnes when the revs die down oil and filter been changed aux belt removed and rattle still there im thinking oil pump or big ends (ouch) any one offer any other advice im at the moment on with removing timing covers to check the the guides the chain was tight aswell this time before i removed the tensioner

Burnzi

Tensioner has failed the lug on the in side has been ripped off and the one way ball to stop the oil returning was stuck brake cleaner and compressed air wouldint shift it i had to tap it with a screw driver i can only think that this has been stopping the oil filling the tensioner just going to order a new kit from the stealership this time and not off trusty ebay unless any one knows of a decent cheaper kit that they havint had issues with cheers

Burnzi

Ive found a place selling a few gm original kits there old stock but they have the tensioner with the lump on the top the z20net one they are £135 so im just going to get one of them but ill make sure i activate it this time round lol

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i got my gm main chain kit off ebay for £93 shipped all new in the box just that it was for a z22yh so had to get a 2nd cam sprocket to match the inlet one
then bought the gm balancer chain from the z22se shop :)

Burnzi

I got my cam chain kit off ebay and the balance kit from main dealers so im just gonna get another cam kit but a gm kit this time theres a FAI kit on ebay but its only £20 quid cheaper than the gm one

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
matt really helped me out with the gm balancer chain from the z22se shop there were not available to me locally so matt got me one here overnight :)

i pretty sure the fai kits are very similar to the gm kit they come with the net tensioner

Burnzi

Ill stick 2 pictures up the only thing that concerns me is in the gm but the cam sprockets are the same in the FAI kit there different see what you think

Burnzi

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 166

Burnzi

Got a couple of photos to stick on over a year of a tensioner not being activated the findings were shocking photos to follow

Burnzi

Looks like the sump will have to come off to locate the missing chain guide bits ill be putting the camera my mate has up there first to see if they are in there