Raleigh Quasar 80's Racer

JohnnyN

Former Staff
I'm trying to reclaim my youth in finding a 23.5" Raleigh Quasar racer. I used to have one when I was 15 and it got stolen and was never seen again. I've been trawling ebay and have signed up on a forum for Raleigh bikes.

I found this picture of one whilst trawling around. Looks like someone else wants to find one too!

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2549_3956281041_180e1bf81a_b.jpg

sdbutler10

wow old skool before my time lol i got this bike now which has suspenssion on front and back prob seems black magic too you :D

Daz

Former Staff
Nive one john......i had a raleigh winner , and a striker b4 that....always wanted a grifter, but never got one

JohnnyN

Former Staff
I never expected to get a result that quick! The chap has decribed it as being in good working order, it needs a clean and could do with 2 new tyres.

Looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully i'll be putting it in the back of the Zafira tomorrow night!

rushy

No, I don't know what its called, but swapped it for a mountain bike when I was 16-18, i'm 34 now. Looking at the pic it looks the same, it has the same colour wrap on the handlebars and its 501 tubing. If I remember rightly the rims are concaved, I think I have 2 rear rims, one concaved and one more streamlined. Quick release rims, the frame is an odd colour, it might even fade into a slight blue, I really cant remember, i've not sat on it for over 15 years. I'll dig it out tomorrow.

rushy

Managed to get a torch in through all the crap, its like a very pail duck egg blue that fades into a grey. There is no name only make. Ill have a better look tomorrow.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Sounds just like the Quasar. Black concave rims and quick release too. The frame did also fade from light blue to grey. The down tube from the seat post to crank was oval.

Get some pics up if you can.

(y)

rushy

Deffo a Quasar, has a quick google and its the same.

I can only fined the original front rim, the rear is a Campagnolo. Cant even tell you if the derailleur sets are original as I got it second hand. The rear derailleur is Suntour and the front is Sashs huret. Its quite shabby, the tyres have perished, the whole bike needs a good striping down and service. The measurement from crank to top of frame is 21".

aimg251.imageshack.us_img251_5742_05042010054.jpg

aimg707.imageshack.us_img707_6070_05042010053.jpg

aimg249.imageshack.us_img249_7092_05042010045s.jpg

aimg682.imageshack.us_img682_3233_05042010049.jpg

rushy

TBH mate, you can have it FOC if you want it. As said it would need a complete strip down, new tyres, the wheels would need re tuning as there's some slight buckle in them, maybe 5mm each way. The 501 stickers had gone brown but I found a Forum via google images about the bike and a guy mentions you can still get the stickers.