2.4 Inlet Problem After Fiting 2.4 Manifold

SpaceWalker

Today i finally decide to fit the 2.4 Manifold.
After re-assemble and check all the parts that are in place i tried to run the car.
It started but it keeps holding high RPM (1500) on idle. After 2-3 minutes the RMP drops below 1000, but the engine light appears also with the TC light and the car starts running not stable at all - like choking. No power at all and not able to force it more than 4000rpm. The car is shaking when i push the gas pedal and from time to time i loos the breaks (the pedal become like concrete). After reseting the ECU the problem is not there any more, but again when the RMP drops below 1000 again the same problem. Just fitted the 2.4 and the EGR cheater, but still with the stock 2.2 TB. With the EGR cheater and the EGR the same situation, no difference.
Any idea, i am totally out of such :(

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Are you sure that you have your servo pipes fitted correctly? You say that the brake pedal is affected??

SpaceWalker

I don't have the small gasket between port 2 and 3. The one on my z22se Manifold it is smaller than the one from 2.4 Manifold. So i think the problem is there, because there is no gasket between port 2 and 3, the small area :(
I saw that spot, but i saw also that the one from z22se shall not fit to 2.4 Manifold.
How to fix it, what kind of gasket i can use?
Thank you vocky and all of you!

By any chance, do you know from where i can find the suppressor, because from
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... e=BRICD-01
They asked 33 pound to delivery it to Bulgaria, which is ridiculous.
Could you help me here?

si.c1978

what you can do (scuse me for being a pikey), is to cut the origional suppressor out of the origional alternator casing and trim making sure you keep/free enough of the metal strip that runs through the casing from the suppresor.
then get some quite heavy duty cable about 150mm long(60amp will be fine), crimp a spade connector to one end then solder the other to the suppresor.
hey presto one home made suppressor!
as for the little gasket you could get any king of material whittle it to shape drill a hole in it the correct size and use hylomar or similar instant gasket to seal. (y)

SpaceWalker

Okay i understand that already, but do you think that this might be due to gasket missing between port 2 and 3, the small one?

I am trying to find the 2.4 Manifold gasket set, but not able to, can you point me from where i can get it fast!

si.c1978

asd said above, it would be very easy to make one out of a small piece of aluminium or something if obtaining one is difficult.

MikeS

Former Staff
u dont need the 2.4 set

the 2.2 set will fit fine

so go down scrappy, ebay or local dealerships

u want the 4 rubber seals for the manifold and the breather seal

SpaceWalker

I've installed the 2.4 Manifold with the 2.2 Manifold gaskets (4 for the runners and one for the TB), except the small one between port 2 and 3, which has a small hole at the middle.
By any chance do you think that the problem might be because this small gasket is not there?

si.c1978

the rubber seals are all the same but you will still need to restrict air flow through that small centre port, you should have the origional small insert from your old manifold that you could seal in,
the other thing to check is that all your servo take offs are connected properly as some of the spiggots have different attachments/ends on them

sdbutler10

yes it will be that middle gasket doing this. get hold of courtenay sport in this country and ask them to send you one out there.
also the 2.2 one if i rememebr right does not fit it.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
The odd looking seal between ports 2 and 3 is called a 'PCV SEAL'. PART# 12589516 at $9.46

This is the gasket seal that you are missing seen in the middle of the picture.....

You should have all the parts seen in this picture.....

Hope this helps?

Attachments

• 2.4 Intake Manifold 11.jpg
    2.4 Intake Manifold 11.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 717
  • 2.4 Intake Manifold 1.jpg
    2.4 Intake Manifold 1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 682

vocky

Staff
my advice;

remove manifold, glue the z22se oil seal into the 2.4 manifold with silicone

let it dry over night

then use gasket sealant around the manifold between 2+3

worked fine on mine when I forgot to buy the gasket (y)

SpaceWalker

I phoned Courtenay and they said that they can not sell me only the gasket kit, only 2.4 Manifold pack, can not be separated, unfortunately :(
My plan is to use hot silicone to glue the gasket from 2.2 to 2.4 Manifold between port 2 and 3.
Then shall re-fit the all parts as should be (i installed them right, the breaks are working with the extension which i've created, they concrete the pedal only when the engine and TC light goes on).
So i shall install the hardware first and i hope (fingers crossed) that everything shall be fine after that and no diagnostic shall be needed.

Thank you guys, you are the best!
I hope to work!

SpaceWalker

YEs i've checked and the part is available, but the problem is how long shall take them to ship it to Bulgaria - i think a lot! :(
The other option as vocky said is to use the 2.2 and glue it with silicone, just i don't have any other choice right now, do i?