Possible Head Gasket Going/Gone

hendomagic

Ok here goes. Had my veccy about a year. Runs fine most of the time. At startup however it revs at about 1300 rpm for about 20-30 secs then drops down t about 800 and stays there. If i try and drive off before revs settle its all stuttery and on the odd occassion as stalled. Changed the oil about 1 month ago and noticed some white/brown sludge under oil filler cap and on dipstick (is this a definate head gasket issue??) Dont know if the revs issue is anything to do with the head gasket :confused:
Any help or input appreciated

si.c1978

as above ^^

however these engines are known to build condensation and can often have a milky filler cap.

hendomagic

Hi guys thanks for quick repies. Coolant looks as normal. Not funny colour and the level stays the same. Theres some smoke at startup but not what i would call excessive. its the scum on the dipstick that worries me cos there seems to be alot on it

pottsey

Hi guys thanks for quick repies. Coolant looks as normal. Not funny colour and the level stays the same. Theres some smoke at startup but not what i would call excessive. its the scum on the dipstick that worries me cos there seems to be alot on it

mines the same on the dipstick has been ever since i bought the car 4 yrs ago,once ive gone for a nice long drive it usually clears

sandyc

Head Gaskets rarely fail on these cars. I think most are replaced during engine work to stop them smoking.

mattg

Hi guys mine has a milky muck on the dip stick as well. I took the filter cover off as well and it is a bit milky if you wipe the top layer of oil off. Nothing under the cap.

I will be giving it some new plugs and will do a compression test. What should my compression be?

I have done about 145,000 km. engine isn't smoky have lost a latte bit of coolant. Cheers

Matt
Zafira 2003

mattg

No change as far as I can tell. I have just got a Bluetooth OBD plug in so I will get that connected tonight to measure the actual temp. what should it run at. ambient here is about 20deg

MikeS

Former Staff
should be getting over 86c when warm

had a vec b sitting at 82c and it had mayo under cap and on dipstick