porting the 58mm throttle body

vocky

Staff
if you feel confident and have a SPARE throttle body to play with, you can port the 58mm throttle body

this makes the engine rev a bit easier as the flow is improved

here's a couple of pics of my original 58mm throttle body

the left-hand tb has the shaft flattened, this increases flowrate, but is optional, the right-hand (standard) tb has black arrows pointing to the alloy to be removed

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_13_std265_1.jpg

the left-hand tb shows the countersunk screws, these increase flowrate, the RED arrow points to a very thin section of alloy - be careful !

the right-hand (standard) tb has a black arrow pointing to the alloy to be removed

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_13_std_75_1.jpg

vocky

Staff
the ideal tool for removing the excess alloy is a rotary rasp in a die-grinder, but a dremel fitted with a small sanding wheel is probably just as good

you need to carefully smooth out the excess material on the sides of the throttle body to form a smooth side rather than a ridged side

do not attempt to remove any material near the closed butterfly, this will cause idle problems and make the throttle body scrap :eek:

the shaft will require drilling to replace the butterfly screws, you should only remove one at a time - this stops the butterfly from moving out of position, then countersink the hole and re-thread it to M4, then fit a new M4 x 6 screw - use some threadlock

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_13_v4_tb4_1.jpg

Gazza

Former Staff
sound like you are the man for the job,if i got hold of a tb and semt it to you how much would you charge to do the job for me :D

also what advantages would be had from doing this ?

vocky

Staff
it doesn't add loads of power, but does make the throttle response much better :D

The main problem with me doing the porting would be if something went wrong, for example; the postman looses the tb, it gets damaged in the post, the second hand tb packs up or doesn't work :eek:

But if someone wanted me to carry out the porting, posted it insured and accepted that I can't test the 58mm tb (I've got a 68mm TB fitted and it's wired differently) then something could be arranged

vocky

Staff
the usa, wait for it..............£45 drool.gif

postage and customs cost £50 :eek:

I will post a thread about fitting one when I get the time munchies..

Daz

Former Staff
Goin to be geting one of matt bankier off vvoc hopefully,then give it a porting etc..

Andy

vocky said:
But if someone wanted me to carry out the porting, posted it insured and accepted that I can't test the 58mm tb (I've got a 68mm TB fitted and it's wired differently) then something could be arranged

Hi vocky,

i've got a spare TB i want porting any chance you can do it for me??

i'm happy to send it to you insured delivery and understand that you can't test it once its done.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Is the butterfly able to open and close manually when its on the bench or is it locked in the closed position?

notsure.gif

vocky

Staff
you can easily push the butterfly open, but it springs back rofl..

best to keep it closed, then you won't touch the alloy around the butterfly, otherwise your tickover will be 2000 rpm :eek:

if you need it open, use a screwdriver or similar to stop it closing

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_13_plate_1_1.jpg

vocky

Staff
with all the mods I get 22 mpg around town, it never gets a decent run :cry:

in the 4.5 years I've owned it, it's done 9k :eek:

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Bloody brilliant young man!! thumbup

Mr. Vocky has been fettling my T/B and what a fine job it looks too. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Thankyou so much for doing it for me.

:wink:

Mark_647

Vocky mate, if theres something in question, you have done it and youve always got excellent detailed pictures !!!! Awsome ! textw.gif