Z22YH P1191 - Fuel Pressure System Malfunction

sjburt

Hi All,
I have a Signum with the Z22YH engine, two days ago it came up with the "spanner in a car" light and immediately went into limp home mode. When I used OP-COM it showed the code:
P1191 - Fuel Pressure System Malfunction
(52) - Present
I reset the code and ran it again, after 10 minutes the light came back and so did the code. I repeated this test a few times ... sometimes it would be in limp mode and sometimes not, but always the same code.
Using advice I saw on this site I thought that because it was still running it could not be the Hight Pressure pump.
Also to start at the low cost end I began by replacing the Fuel filter. When it started after a few minutes it began running really lumpy (sounded like 2 cylinders) the fuel pressure in OP-COM showing less than 400 Kpa and of course the code came back.
Bought and fitted a pressure regulator, the code code back and the engine ran as it had done before fitting the fuel filter (i.e. not lumpy).
Bought and fitted a pressure sensor, the engine is now running really smoothly ... but the code came back and again sometimes it goes into limp mode ... so I am back to square one.
Using the monitoring part of OP-COM I watched the fuel pressure and on one occasion when parked up and letting the revs rise slowly towards 3000 rpm, I saw the pressure drop to something like 300 Kpa for a very short time accompanied by a quick lump in the revs. This immediately disappeared and the engine ran as normal but the code came back.
I made some test drives and on each occasion the code will come back after about 5 to 10 minutes sometimes in limp mode and sometimes not.
So to the question ... am I now only left with replacing the High Pressure fuel pump?
Thanks in advance.

sjburt

Hi evocarlos,
Thanks for the flowchart ... hadn't found that thread before ... will go through it all again today.
One question ... disconnecting the FPR ... is this done with the engine running or with it off?
Also having read through the thread again ... if I can end up at the part where it says used the TIS 2000 service instruction ... what does that mean?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

rushy

TIS 2000 is what the VX tecs used to use to tell them what to do, a bit like VX's own Hayns manual but for the PC. You can get it on ebay.

PS noticed your thread on the Vec-C forum but evocarlos had answered it better than any of us could over there :). The Vectra C forum and Facebook page seams to be full of 2.2 haters and half truth story tellers, all they have to say about the 2.2 is get a cdti, your best place for engine advice is here :)

Last edited:

sjburt

In the end I drove the car several times until it went into limp mode while monitoring the fuel pressure using OP-COM.
It got worse each time (meaning less then 500kPa, but still no joy using the diagnosis flow chart.
In the end I decided it must be the pump and found a half price genuine (Continental) fuel pump in eBay (Neo Brothers).
Fitting this has totally solved the problem. It even corrected what I had been thinking was a slight misfire when cold.
Have had the car for 3 year and now the acceleration is much more rapid than it has ever been at higher revs, so I think the pump has been slowly failing for all this time.
Thanks for the help and advice.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the flow chart lists for fuel pressure less than 600kpa :)
hp pump
2. Measure fuel pressure in the high pressure rail at idle by using Tech2 Datalist.

Is fuel pressure in the high pressure rail less than 600kPa?

Yes: High pressure pump defect, replace.