Opel Astra z22se Tuning

dedko

It was in the middle of summer, 30-odd Celsius on the day. This is what I got before tuning.
Engine completely stock, running with a cone filter (no heat shield notsure.gif) and V-Power 98 RON in the tank.
fBkU3.jpg

dedko

We shall find out soon. I've some mods planned courtesy of Atom X next week:

Rebuild + porting
Raised compression ratio
comp cams stage 1
2.4 inlet manifold

... and hopefully time for a rolling-road before I return to Amsterdam.

Last edited by a moderator:

dedko

Post Tuning, pre-Remap
Rebuild + porting
Raised compression ratio to 11.25:1
piper fast road cams
2.4 inlet manifold
Test 1,2 = pre-tuning
Test 3,4,5 = post-tuning, pre-remap
  • LAe3m.jpg

ATOM X

I am shocked by the low results, I feel your torque values should have been higher with your current architecture
granted you still have original exhaust manifold BUT I have seen a lot better figures using standard air-box
The breathing is thwarting the engine

This excerise proves how important a good inlet & exhaust tract is to thermodynamics

dedko

I'll revert back to the standard air-box, or obtain a heat shield for the cone filter.
Whichever I can get my hands on first.

astra22bertoneauto

I have a standard air box de-restricted with a high flow panel filter that seems to do the job nicely. Also I have a 4-1 manifold with 2.5" system. No other mods yet but i find at the moment its much more responsive than before!

Quite a few people on here dont recommend the cone filter.

dedko

I found a rolling road report which is comparable to mine, both before and after the 2.4 inlet manifold.
I do realise that I'm comparing apples to oranges (different altitude, fuel RON, temperature), but the shape of the graph is uncannily similar.
One significant difference: This particular car has a sports catback fitted.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Cobalt-24-Intake-Kit-W67C144.aspx

I do agree with his sentiments; the car does feel more responsive and power delivery certainly feels more linear.

ATOM X

dedko said:
I found a rolling road report which is comparable to mine, both before and after the 2.4 inlet manifold.
I do realise that I'm comparing apples to oranges (different altitude, fuel RON, temperature), but the shape of the graph is uncannily similar.
One significant difference: This particular car has a sports catback fitted.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Cobalt-24-Intake-Kit-W67C144.aspx

I do agree with his sentiments; the car does feel more responsive and power delivery certainly feels more linear.

your confiuration is a good base, that should be easily capable of generating 200bhp
the limiting factors be they inlet tract and/or exhaust are having a strangling effect

QUESTION if you brick up using airbricks the intake & exhaust on a jet engine will it function?
ANSWER Yes but with seriously reduced performance

vocky

Staff
I can't believe you still have the standard exhaust manifold fitted, do you still have the precat too notsure.gif

more air in = more air out, standard ex manifold is awful (n)

dedko

Yep, it's true Vocky I still have the standard outlet. The exhaust mani and pipe is next on my to-do list. (y) Consider it phase 2 ... it'll be a month or so before I've the readdies.
There's a guy here in Holland who'll do a custom full exhaust (inc fitting and VAT) for €800 ≈ £600
But I'll need to supply a mani and downpipe.

Atom, I had expected greater results too. With the new inlet and tb allowing more air, I'd expected a small increase in power/torque. Although, as Blue_2.2 states, the restrictive exhaust is putting a dampener on things.

Anyways. first things first; get the original airbox (deristricted) back on and see if I notice a difference. The current cone is nothing more than a warm air intake! :problem:
(Honestly, I'll miss the note from the cone filter.)

dedko

Minor update:
I'm off on a long road trip through a few countries in Europe and I reckoned that driving a couple of thousand miles with the drone and noise from the warm-air-intake (still dunno wtf I was thinking notsure.gif when I put that in) would drive me nuts.

So, I decided to swap out the WAI and put back the original airbox.

And all I can say is, gentlemen, the torque is back! showo..